Halloween- Fixing The Scatter

"Hey, slow down," I said, snatching Nate's drink from his hand. "I don't want to babysit you all night."

"I'm hardly tipsy," Nate said, holding his hand out. "Give me my drink. Asher said he'd pick us up anytime we need him."

I put the drink back in his hands and sipped on my own mixture. We'd gone to a Halloween party a friend of ours was throwing. Nate was dressed as Chris Redfield and I was dressed as Leon Kennedy (with significantly less emo hair). Everyone around us was dressed in costumes, and we'd lost Landon when he ran off with two girls a little while ago.

I was keeping an eye on my phone in case Staz texted me. I'd invited him to the party, but he hated parties. I'd offered to spend the night with him, but he said his parents were taking him to get apple cider from his favorite cider mill, and then taking him home to bake apple cake and watch movies.

I'd talked to Nero about it, and Nero told me that Staz didn't like Halloween. He said Staz used to throw fits when they carved pumpkins because he hated the texture on the inside. Nero also said Staz was afraid of scary movies because of the sudden loud noises. Apparently when Staz was younger, he'd also sometimes throw fits about Halloween costumes. He hated certain textures, and he'd cry if anyone tried to make him wear a mask.

Nero said their parents always let Staz pick out a costume he was comfortable in. They'd send Nero and Dante out trick-or-treating with Staz so that Staz wouldn't have to talk at the doors. Ian went with them until he got too old, preferring to go out with his friends instead of babysit his youngest brother.

"You're zoning out," Nate said, nudging my arm. "Are you sure you didn't have too much to drink? You put a lot of vodka in that drink, Jude."

"I just feel bad that I left Staz alone," I said, looking down at my drink. I would finish this one and quit for the night. I didn't like getting into a state beyond tipsy when I was around anyone other than Nate or Landon. I liked to be in control and aware of what was happening.

"So? Go see him. We've been at this party for hours," Nate said. "Asher will drop you off at Staz's place."

"Do you think I should?" I said.

Nate nodded. "Yea, it'll probably make Staz really happy. Besides, I know you. You're done drinking for the night. They're starting up drinking games. You won't have fun here if you stay."

"Alright, I'll text Asher," I said, finishing up my drink as I texted him.

"Leaving me alone," Nate said, shaking his head. "Poor Chris Redfield, always loses all of his men."

"And yet, he carries on. Sometimes by excessive drinking." I tapped Nate's cup. "Get chugging."

"You just told me to stop!" Nate said as I started walking away.

"If I'm gone, I don't have to babysit you," I called over my shoulder.

I left the house and waited until Asher pulled up. I got in the car and gave him Staz's address.

Asher pulled into the driveway a few minutes later. "Text me if you need a ride home. I'll be up for a while since Nate is still out."

"Thanks Asher," I said, getting out of the car.

I went up to the door and rang the doorbell. Mr. Montgomery answered and looked surprised.