Halloween- Changing Will

The scariest part about Halloween was watching horror movies with Will Duvet.

Even now, we sat on the couch together, Halloween playing on the TV. Will was so amazed by the movie that he'd pushed me off of his lap so he could lean forward.

"Will," I said, nudging him.

"Sh!" He pushed my arm away. "Isn't the camera work amazing? The use of off-screen space to build tension is incredible. A low budget film that did so many amazing things."

"Will, it's a 38 year old horror movie," I said.

"I know." He sounded like he wanted to take the movie to Vegas and marry it. "Psycho influenced Halloween, which influenced Scream. So many of those key horror elements and references. Did you know part of the reason Jamie Lee Curtis got the lead in Halloween is because her mom played the actress who was stabbed in the shower in Psycho?"

"I don't care," I reminded.

"And the mask! It's just a William Shatner mask painted white. They made the eyes bigger and teased the hair," he said in fascination.

"I don't ca- wait, what? We're watching a movie about a murderer wearing a fucking William Shatner mask?" I asked in confusion. "Well, there goes the horror part of the movie."

"It's so well done for its budget! Did you know they had to paint leaves and reuse them in scenes? And Jamie had to buy her own wardrobe? Sam Loomis gets his name from Psycho, and I'm assuming that's where Billy Loomis in Scream got his name from," Will babbled happily.

I slapped my hand over his mouth. "Can we just watch one movie without you telling me every single thing you know about it?"

He pulled my hand away and scowled. "Fine, then you pick the next movie."

We'd decided not to go out tonight because it was freezing and Will hadn't been feeling good for a few days. His parents were worried that he'd only get sicker if he went out in this weather, so I'd decided to stay in with him and keep him company. What a horrible decision.

Well, at least he was being festive. He had on an R2D2 hoodie and his favorite hat. He had on Star Wars sweatpants to complete his bummed out Halloween aesthetic.

I was tempted to ask him how many times he'd gone as a Star Wars character when he was a kid, but I was afraid of how hard he'd hit me. He was so damn moody.

I'd shown up in just a Hufflepuff T-shirt, claiming it was my costume. I didn't know what my friends were going as since I'd ditched them to spend the night with Will, but I heard that Sonnet had "the best costume ever known to man".

"Hey!"

Will shook my shoulder. I glanced at his lovely scowling face.

"Pick a movie, Ethan," he said, gesturing to the stacks of DVDs piled in front of us.

"Let's watch..." I pushed through the DVDs. "Shit, I don't know, I'm an actual child and half of these will give me nightmares until the day I die. Can't we just have passionate sex and then get murdered by some freak wearing a William Shatner mask?"

"No," Will said, picking through his DVDs. "I'm sick and I'm not so much as kissing you tonight. Pick a movie."

"Fine, then I'll just kiss you," I said and leaned over, kissing his cheek.

"Wow, that was so cheesy I actually want to die," Will said, pushing my face away.

"You know, if I was one of the famous slasher killers, I'd be Ghostface. Everyone always beats the shit out of Ghostface," I said, picking up a copy of Scream. "He really wasn't a good killer. You could be Shaggy."

"He's not Shaggy in Scream, you idiot," Will said, snatching the DVD from my hands. "Stop associating Scooby-Doo with Scream. It makes me uncomfortable."

He coughed, a hacking sound that announced he was steadily getting sicker as the week went on. He tossed the DVD onto the ground and laid back on his bed.

"Just pick a movie," he said, coughing again.

I grabbed The Blair Witch Project and put it on. I laid down next to Will, cuddling against his side and pulling a blanket over us.

"Sorry you didn't get to go out with everyone because of me," he said, putting his arm around me.

"Fun killer," I said, snuggling closer to him. "If you recite one single movie fact, I will gut you like a fish."

Will smiled a little and tried to hide it. "You're just uneducated."

"I think the scariest part about Halloween is the fact that you just smiled," I said. "Are you planning to murder me? Make sure you text my mom and tell her I'm dead so she doesn't worry when I don't come home."

"Will do," he said.

"Such an inconvenient name," I said with a sigh.

Will lightly smacked my arm. I smiled and rested my head against his shoulder as we watched the movie. Maybe it wasn't an exciting way to spend Halloween, but I was perfectly content.

--------------------

A.N.- Have a spoopy Halloween and be safe and have fun with your horror movie knowledge via Will Duvet (and let me know if you want a Halloween special for any other couples)