Valentine's Day- The Other Side

A.N.- Shout out to Sam for this idea. This holiday special takes place the year before the events of The Other Side (they're 17 in the story, and 16 in this special). Spoiler free, for anyone concerned! (well, spoiler free if you've read the first chapter)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                There was a knock on the front door. I got off the couch and hurried my way to the door, pulling it open.

                Taliesin stood there, flowers in his hand. I blushed a little as he held the bouquet out.

                It was a collection of various yellow flowers, with a single red rose in the center of it all. I took them from him and lightly hit his shoulder.

                "What am I supposed to do with flowers?" I asked, unable to hide my smile.

                Taliesin grinned and shrugged. "That's your problem. I did my part as a good boyfriend." He tipped my chin and kissed me. "Happy Valentine's Day, Gabe. You going to let me into the house?"

                "Nah, I'll just keep you in the doorway. I already got my gift," I said, lifting the flowers.

                "Yea? Who said that was all?" he said, nudging me aside so he could step into my house.

                I took his hand once he'd kicked his shoes off and pulled him through the house to the kitchen. He helped me search for a vase to put the flowers in before we went upstairs.

                I set them on my desk, rubbing a soft yellow petal between my fingers. "They'll die without soil."

                "What a lovely thought," he said, lying back on my bed, his hands behind his head. "Next year I'm just getting you a picture of flowers."

                I sat next to him on the bed. "I do appreciate it, Tal. Thank you."

                "I know a really great way to thank me," he said, that grin of his growing.

                I tapped my chin like I was thinking hard about it. "I can't think of any better way than just saying thank you."

                He sat up. "Here, let me teach you."

                Taliesin pushed me back against my bed. He straddled my waist and bent down, kissing near my ear, trailing kisses down to my jaw. I locked my hands around his neck, tilting my head so he could kiss down my neck.

                "Still not seeing how this is a thanks," I said, trying to keep my voice steady.

                "I'm getting there." His breath tickled my neck, and he traced a hand down my chest. "I'm teaching you patience, too."

                I realized this might go farther than we'd expected, and caught Taliesin's cheek in my hand. I guided his head so he was looking into my eyes.

                "Thank you," I said seriously, wanting to make sure he knew I appreciated it despite my teasing. "For the flowers, I mean. Thanks, Taliesin."

                He suddenly laughed, burying his face against my neck as he did so. His body shook against mine with his laughter for a few moments.

                He picked his head back up and folded his arms over my chest, his face close to mine, a grin playing on his lips. "Here I was, trying to be seductive. You're really something, Gabe."

                "I ruined it, didn't I?" I said with a sigh.

                "Nah." He rolled off of me and slipped an arm under my back, drawing me up against his side. "I like it better this way. Besides, Leigh would be mortified if she asked what we did today and you started blushing."

                "Oh, shut it," I said, rolling my eyes. I rested my hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat beneath my palm. I curled myself against his side, feeling happy and at ease. I didn't care if we just spent the rest of the day lying like this; it felt peaceful.

                I closed my eyes as Taliesin began to play with my hair. I could've easily fallen asleep, as I'd done so many times before when we laid together like this.

                But I forced myself to crack an eye open. "I wish you weren't such a hair diva. You'll never know what it's like to have your hair played with. Too much gel."

                "But I look damn good," he said.

                I closed my eyes again, smiling against his shoulder as I turned my head. "No comment."

                It was quiet for a while, the two of just lying together. Taliesin kept playing with my hair, and I kept my hand on his chest, feeling the steady, easy rhythm of his heart.

                "Gabe?" His voice was quiet.

                "I'm still awake," I said, forcing my eyes open.

                "Good," he said, and sat up, kicking the covers of my bed back. "I was freezing."

                "Are we just going to lay in bed all day?" I asked.

                He shrugged. "Why not? We can do whatever we want."

                "My parents left us money to order pizza. Let me know when you get hungry. I know it's not the most romantic dinner in the world," I said.

                "I'll eat it really sexily," he said, winking.

                "Nothing turns me on like a guy eating pizza," I said. I looked back over at the flowers and frowned. "I'm sorry I didn't get you anything. I never had a chance to run to the mall over the weekend."

                "I don't need anything," he said.

                "But you got me flowers," I said, feeling even worse. I hadn't even gotten him chocolate or a card or even a little gift.

                Taliesin rolled onto his side to face me. "I have a workout partner, a student council partner, a study partner, a best friend, and a boyfriend with the messiest but softest hair in the world. What the hell could you buy me that could compare to that?"

                I narrowed my eyes. "What happened to the real Taliesin? He would never be this sentimental."

                He rolled onto his back, folding his hands behind his head and looking up at my ceiling. "I don't want anything, Gabe. I have you. Call me sentimental, call me so cheesy we don't even need to order that pizza." He looked back at me, that rare, genuine smile of his on his face. "Just call me happy while you're at it."

                I wanted to tease him for suddenly acting so uncharacteristically sappy, but something about the earnestness of his tone had me stopping myself. Instead, I slid my arm across his chest and pulled him closer to me, kissing him.

                "Let's lay here a little longer. Then we can order pizza and watch a movie," I said.

                "Good. Your room smells like a flower shop. It's gagging me," he said, right back to normal.

                I laughed and closed my eyes as he started playing with my hair again. "Happy Valentine's Day, Tal."

                He kissed my cheek. "Happy Valentine's Day, Gabe."