Father's Day- Changing Will/Just A Spark

"I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but it's a bad idea," I said.

                "You, hush," mom said, shooing me out of her way. "It's your father's day today. It's not your decision."

                "But putting me and Rio in the same room is always a bad idea!" I said.

                "I know that. But I'm trying to make this a family day," mom said. "Is Will coming or is he spending the day with his dad?"

                "They took his dad out to lunch. Besides, his dad had a lot of work to do. They spent all of yesterday with him instead," I said.

                "Well, out of my way. I need to finish cooking," she said. "If your Aunt brings those brownies with nuts in them, I'll slap you if you even look at them. No near death experiences on Father's Day!"

                "I'll give my body a stern talking to," I assured.

                Mom brushed past me and continued moving around the kitchen. There was a knock on the door and I hurried down to answer it, letting Will in.

                "Hey," he said, kicking his shoes off.

                "Rio's coming with his boyfriend," I said.

                Will scowled. "I hate when the two of you are together."

                "You and everyone else," I said, pulling him down so I could kiss him. "Having a good day?"

                "I'm not a father," he said.

                "No, but you're a daddy," I said.

                Will lifted me off my feet, set me down out of his way, and left the house. I pouted and crossed my arms.

                "You left your shoes!" I called.

                The door opened a minute later, a scowling Will being herded into the house by Rio and his parents. Rio looked confused.

                "Why is your boyfriend trying to run away without shoes on?" he asked.

                "Because he has no sense of humor," I said.

                "If you ever call me that again I'll break up with you," Will hissed in my ear. "That kink freaks me out."

                "Fair enough. Rio, where's your boyfriend? I want a cute, smiling face," I said.

                "I'm here!" Ezra said, poking his head out from behind Rio's parents.

                "Happy Father's Day, Uncle Andy," I said.

                "Thanks Ethan," Rio's dad said with a smile. "Your parents in the kitchen?"

                "Probably," I said.

                Rio's parents left to go find mine. I led everyone up to my bedroom, dropping on my bed. Will seated himself next to me and Rio and Ezra shared a chair together.

                "So how's your dad with your brother gone this year?" I asked.

                Rio shrugged. "Probably cried himself asleep last night. He would never let me know. How's your dad with a son like you?"

                "Overjoyed, I'm sure. I'm a great son to have," I said. "Cute, lovable, and charming."

                "Who are you describing?" Will asked in confusion. "I thought we were talking about you. You know, scrawny, obnoxious, and a bully magnet."

                I glared at him. "Why didn't you stay gone?"

                "A healthy relationship," Ezra said, laughing.

                Rio hooked an arm around Ezra's waist and kissed his cheek. I looked at Will expectantly, but his scowl just deepened and he made no moves to kiss me. What an ass. I should've dated his sister to piss him off.

                "Boys!"

                At my mom's voice, we all left my room and went out to the living room. Our parents were sitting on a couch together, so we took the other couch.

                "Happy Father's Day, Greg," Will said.

                "Thanks Will," dad said with a smile.

                "Oh, right, I have a card for you," I said, taking it out and tossing it to my dad.

                "Ethan!" mom said, shaking her head.

                Dad picked the card up and opened it, eyes scanning over the words. He smiled lightly, getting up and coming over to me.

                "Stand up," he said.

                I did and he pulled me into his arms, hugging me tightly. I hugged him back, so relieved that we were in a better place with each other. I knew Rio's father had always been supportive of him and Hank, even when Hank became addicted. But my own father had struggled, always loving me but unable to stop his disappointment.

                But here we were today, hugging, my dad looking proud as he pulled away from me. He reached out and ruffled my hair affectionately.

                "Thank you, Ethan. I love you. You're a great son," he said sincerely.

                "I'm getting emotional," Rio said. "Open those arms, dad."

                Uncle Andy laughed and got up, hugging Rio like he could shelter him from the side of the world Hank had slipped to. Will smiled over at me, small but encouraging. He'd helped me reach this place with my dad.

                And I knew Ezra came from a broken home. I knew seeing this affection and love must hurt him.

                But he smiled at Rio, so happy for his boyfriend. I reached out and gave my dad another quick hug. Maybe today wasn't such a bad idea after all.