Valentine's Day- Fixing The Scatter

"Going on your date?" dad asked.

                "Obviously," I said, swinging my car keys around my finger.

                Dad put his hand on my shoulder, smiling at me. "Staz is lucky to have you."

                "I know," I said, grinning a little.

                Dad laughed and squeezed my shoulder. "Mom bought brownies in case you guys want to come here for dessert after. She and I are going out to dinner and then I'm taking her to that art gallery she loves, so we'll be gone most of the night. The house is yours."

                Ah, my father, so trusting. He'd been this way when I dated Gideon, too. My mom had been stricter about when Gideon could come over, worried about what we'd be doing here alone. Dad still liked to see me as his innocent son, and the thought of what I'd do home alone with my boyfriend was never dirty in his mind.

                "Sure. Tell me when you're coming home so you don't bother us," I said. "I'm leaving."

                I left the house and got in my car. I put on the playlist I'd made for Staz, turning the volume low as I drove towards his house.

                I parked in the driveway and got out, heading up and knocking on the front door. Nero opened the door and let me inside.

                "He's up in his room. My parents are out for the night, but they asked me to tell you not to keep him out too late," he said.

                "And you?" I said.

                "Going on a date. I was just sticking around so Staz wasn't home alone. Have him text me when you're taking him home," Nero said.

                I nodded and went upstairs to Staz's room. I knocked on his door and waited until he opened it.

                I felt my eyes widen in surprise a little at the sight of him. Instead of his usual paint-stained clothes, he wore nice jeans and an expensive looking button-up shirt.

                He fidgeted with one of the buttons nervously. "I asked my mom to help me pick out clothes. You said...we were going to a nice restaurant?"

                I shook myself a little. "Yea, we are. I'm just not used to people looking as good as I do."

                His face brightened a little. "I do? You're really cute. I mean, sexy!"

                I laughed. "You do, and I am. Ready to go to dinner?"

                "Wait, I have a present for you!" he said, turning around. He went over to his desk and dug around a bit before turning and holding out a heart-shaped box with a flower on it.

                I took it from him, opening the box to look at the chocolates inside. I shut it and looked back up at him, seeing how nervous he was.

                "In movies...they..." He was pressing his thumbs against his palms. "Do you like it?"

                "I like it a lot. I'm glad you got it for me," I said.

                He looked infinitely relieved. "I'm glad you like it, Jude. Can I kiss you?"

                I leaned forward and he copied me, our lips pressing together. I knew it was Staz's first Valentine's Day in a relationship, and I wanted to make it simple but good for him.

                He slowly held his hand out to me. I took it in mine and the two of us went downstairs together.

                Nero smiled a little. "Here, let me take a picture, Staz. Then you can remember tonight."

                Staz shuffled a little closer to me. I moved my hand near his waist and he nodded, letting me put it around him. We both smiled at Nero as he took a picture on his phone.

                "I'll send it to you, Staz," Nero said.

                "Thank you, Nero," Staz said gratefully.

                The two of us left the house, getting into my car. I turned the music up just a bit as I started driving.

                When we got to the restaurant, Staz followed me inside. The host looked up at us.

                "Do you have a reservation?" he asked.

                "Tibbits," I said.

                "Sydney's son!" he said in surprise. He looked down at a list and nodded. "Yes, of course, we have your table, Mr. Tibbits."

                He led us through the crowded restaurant. I could see how anxious Staz was getting, but he calmed down as we were led to a secluded table in a quiet section. I'd requested this table specifically, and my dad being good friends with the owner and most employees here had certainly helped me get what I wanted.

                The host left us with menus and disappeared back around the corner. There was a candle lit in the center of the table, and the lights were dim back here.

                "Do you like it?" I asked.

                He nodded. "Yes. I like it."

                "Here." I pulled out several small, wrapped gifts, handing them to Staz. "Happy Valentine's Day, Staz."

                He took them from me and opened them. One was a CD with his favorite songs from my playlist on it. One was a ticket to an art show that was happening nearby next month. And the last gift was a framed picture of the two of us.

                Staz looked beyond thrilled at the gifts. He held the picture in both hands, looking down at it with a smile on his face.

                "Thank you, Jude. I'm glad you're my boyfriend," he said.

                I held my hand out to him and he took it. He carefully set his gifts aside, keeping his hold on my hand as we looked through our menus.

                We ordered food and talked our way through dinner. I paid for us when we were done and we left, hurrying our way through the crowded part of the restaurant. I drove us back to my house, leading Staz inside.

                I gave him a brownie and led him to my living room. I turned the fireplace on and we sat in front of it, Staz's leg lightly brushing against mine.

                "Happy Valentine's Day," I said, kissing his cheek.

                "I like Valentine's Day," he said, a wide smile on his face.

                "Me too," I said, unable to help my own smile. "Especially with you."

                He held my hand again, hesitantly resting his head on my shoulder. I kissed his head and we sat there in the silent warmth of the room.

                I felt calm and happy, something I'd never imagined for myself. There was no anger, no thoughts of Gideon.

                Just me and Staz, hands clasped together and fire crackling in front of us. I'd make sure Staz liked every Valentine's Day we spent together. I gave his hand a light squeeze, and for once, I was the one who didn't have words.

                Maybe some moments were just too perfect for words.