Christmas- The Stars That Night

It surprised me to find out that Silas actually had celebrated Christmas with his parents. He said when they did give him gifts, he'd sometimes get clothes or even a coat, maybe some shoes if his were really beat up. He'd get a new toothbrush, sometimes even some cheap little toys. He said his mom always bought him a little bag of cookies.

                It made me both sad and happy to hear that. Sad that Christmas was so exciting for him because he might get a coat so he didn't have to wear three layers to go to school when it got really cold. Happy because at least his parents gave him a holiday.

                Christmas was tomorrow, but Ray and Silas were coming to my house tonight to exchange gifts. Silas said his grandparents were coming up to stay with them, and they'd arrive early on Christmas morning to watch him open gifts.

                It was late now, my family having recently gotten home from my Aunt's Christmas party. We'd exchange gifts and go to bed before a long day of family tomorrow.

                The doorbell rang and I went to let them in. Silas was bundled in a warm sweater and a coat, sturdy boots on his feet. I smiled at the sight, stepping aside so they could escape the snow and the chilly air.

                "What're you smilin' at?" Silas asked.

                "You look warm," I said.

                He looked down at himself in confusion. "Yea, I ain't coming out in my swim trunks when it's snowing."

                But Ray shot me a knowing look and put a hand on Silas's shoulder. "Take your boots off. You're going to get snow all over their floor, punk ass kid."

                Silas grumbled something as he kicked his boots off. He and Ray followed me out to the living room, where my parents had a fire going in the fireplace. My mom had turned all the Christmas lights on, and the room looked comforting and cheerful.

                "Merry Christmas!" mom said as she spotted Ray and Silas.

                "Merry Chri-" Silas paused as his eyes landed on Michigan, and he fought off a smile. "Did you really put your dog in a Christmas sweater?"

                "He loves it," I said, petting Michigan's head. He pawed at the sweater.

                "He hates it. You just love to torture him," dad said, standing up. "Ray, come on. We'll grab a drink in the kitchen while the boys exchange their gifts."

                Mom and Ray followed dad out to the kitchen. Silas set the gifts he was holding down on the coffee table as I pulled out the ones I had for him. I led him over to the fireplace and we sat together in front of it, the heat of the flames warming us.

                "How was your Christmas Eve?" I asked.

                Silas shrugged. "Alright, I guess. We go to Ray's friend's place for his party. Ain't a big fan of the crowd, but I know most of 'em by now."

                "Do you have fun, though?" I said.

                He looked away, shrugging again. "I guess." He looked towards the fire, the flames dancing in his eyes. "It's...different. They offer Ray all these drinks but he nurses them so long he never gets drunk. My mom also got drunk after I opened my presents."

                "They're siblings, but they're different people," I said, putting my hand on his back.

                "Ray said Christmas was her favorite holiday. He said their dad didn't drink as much 'cause they saw all their family." Silas shook his head a little. "Learned more about my mom when I left her than when I spent every day with her. At least no one's stealing my money now." He had that nervous expression again, and hastily lifted a gift. "Let's open this shit already."