Thanksgiving- The Only Faith

I rang the doorbell and waited until the door was pulled open. Caroline smiled and ushered me inside.

                "Hi Brennan. Happy Thanksgiving," she said. "You're almost in time for the tradition where we fight my grandpa not to make a bitchy speech where he tells his children how grateful he is that they didn't fuck up too badly."

                "Why would you fight him on that? Let the man drag his son," I said.

                Caroline rolled her eyes and led me into the busy household. It was probably a bad idea to have dessert at the Constance house on Thanksgiving considering the majority of them hated me, but Leon had invited me and I never said no to a cute boy and some delicious calories.

                "Hi Brennan," Leon said, hurrying up to us. "Sorry, my grandpa was talking to me when you got here and I didn't want to be rude."

                "The grumpy grandpa?" I said.

                He shook his head. "My mom's dad. Oh, right, happy Thanksgiving. I'm glad you came here. My mom made truffles and my dad made an ice cream pie. They're really good."

                "Are you sure he didn't poison the pie in hopes of killing me?" I said.

                "I'm sure," he said, kissing my cheek.

                "I wish I could say I'm thankful for you, but you look so dead I'm not even sure I still have a boyfriend," I said, eyeing the bags under his eyes.

                He rubbed at his eyes and forced a smile. "I was helping my parents cook and clean all night. My parents fell asleep on the couch so I cleaned the kitchen before I went to bed. I got up early to set the table so my mom didn't have to."

                I cupped his face between my hands. "Stop. Being. A. Good. Person."

                He swatted my hands away. "Eating so much made me feel even sleepier. I think I'll wake up once I'm up for a bit. Let's go get dessert and maybe some fresh air."

                He put his hand on my lower back and guided me through the crowd of his family. I could tell when people were from Abby's side of the family when I caught glimpses of their auburn hair. I was assuming the more serious looking people were from George's side.

                "Oh, Brennan!" Abby said, noticing us. "Happy Thanksgiving!"

                "Happy Thanksgiving, Mrs. Constance," I said.

                She pulled me over to her. "Dad, this is Brennan. He's the one dating Leon."

                Abby's dad smiled a little and shook my hand. "Nice to meet you."

                "Yea, you too," I said, wishing for death. Meeting people was so awkward, especially since I didn't know how they felt about Leon's sexuality. Surely the Constance side didn't approve of our relationship, but I didn't know anything about Abby's family.

                But Leon stepped up next to me with one of tired smiles. "I apologize for anything Brennan says, grandpa. He can't watch his mouth to save his life."

                "Hey! I can totally watch my mouth," I said. "Not literally, of course, but metaphorically."

                "Brennan, you have to try some of the desserts. George made a delicious pie, and his brother-in-law brought the tastiest cannoli dip," Abby said, dragging me over towards a counter loaded with desserts. "Leon helped me make some truffles, too."