Halloween- Blurring The Lines

"Aren't we so lucky we can get away from the Academy for Halloween?" Karson said, pulling his scarf tighter around his throat. "Good thing we have the crip as an escort."

                "And me!" Isaac said.

                "Right, and the bastard with his fake dad's money," Karson said, wincing when Isaac kicked him in the shin.

                "Halloween is stupid," Jin said.

                "Fuck, wait, oh my god, what did you dress up as when you were a kid? I bet your parents dressed you up as something ridiculous and that's why you hate Halloween," Karson said.

                "I dressed up as an alcoholic. Oh, wait," Jin said.

                I whacked him with my cane. "Of course the only time you have a sense of humor it's dark."

                We'd been granted permission from Caroline Constance to leave the Academy Halloween night, as long as Isaac and I stayed with the Maroons the whole time. I'm pretty sure Isaac was the only reason we'd been allowed out, but none of us were complaining.

                We'd gone to a Halloween event downtown, where there were things like a corn maze, a haunted house, hay rides, a dance floor, and food and drink. Tickets were fairly cheap, so we'd agreed it was better than holing up at the dorms for the night.

                "Let's grab drinks and go on the hay ride," Lev said.

                "I want to do the haunted house!" Amelia said in excitement. "It'll scare the shit out of me. I'm so excited."

                "Amelia," Lev groaned. "You punched someone last time we went in a haunted house."

                "I got afraid," Amelia said defensively. "I'll be fine this time. Well, probably not. But I won't punch anyone! Well, probably not."

                Lev put his hand over her mouth. "Let's eat and go on the hay ride first."

                We found a refreshment tables where employees were giving out drinks and snacks. An employee came over to us with a smile.

                "Hot chocolates please!" Isaac said.

                Karson whacked him in the back of the head. "Yea, because we want the lactose intolerant one of the group dying of cramps all night."

                "Oh, oops. I forgot," Isaac said with a frown.

                "Blame Jin. He wasn't going to say anything," I said.

                "I don't care," Jin said.

                "Two apple ciders," I said to the employee.

                He got us the drinks and gave us all donuts. We made our way over to the hay ride, which was loading up for its next round.

                "Shit," I said, realizing there was a set of wooden steps to get onto the ride. Jin ushered the others forward.

                The man helping people onto the ride looked nervous as I slowly climbed the stairs. There was a little gap between the stairs and the ride, but I was just trying to get up there.