Thanksgiving- Kory and Trace

“Kory, don’t you even!”

                “BOOP ON THE NOSE!”

                My finger shot out, rubbing chocolate on Trace’s nose. Trace growled in frustration and smacked my hand away as Brandon laughed at us.

                “Honestly Kory, Trace is going to kill you and I’m not going to stop him,” mom said with a sigh.

                “Damn straight I am,” Trace said, taking a step towards me.

                I darted to the other side of the counter and narrowed my eyes at him. “YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!” I cried fiercely.

                But then I looked at his face and burst into laughter. There was still chocolate on his nose, and he just looked so damn adorable.

                I bounded over to him and smiled innocently. “I’m sorry Trace!” I said. I wiped my finger on his cheek, getting more chocolate on it.

                I smirked at him. “Let me clean it off for you.” I leaned forward and slowly licked the chocolate off his cheek.

                He glared at me when I was done. “Now go get me a napkin to get it off my nose,” he said impatiently.

                I pouted. “Well, you’re no fun. Most people would take that as a sexual thing,” I grumbled, grabbing him a napkin and thrusting it into his ha-

                OH GOD I USED THE WORD THRUST.

                Trace cleaned the chocolate off of his nose before returning to the Oreo truffles we were making together. I followed him, trying to fight off my dirty thoughts.

                “Now, can you behave?” Trace asked me.

                I shook my head. “Probably not.”

                “At least he’s honest,” Brandon said, ruffling my hair.

                Trace and I began to roll the truffles in chocolate again. My mom had turned on Christmas music, and I began to hum along with it.

                “Why are we listening to Christmas music when it’s Thanksgiving?” Trace asked in annoyance.

                “You are such a grumpy person,” I said, rolling my eyes at him. He was such a Mr. Moodypants.

                Trace shrugged. He wiped his hands on a napkin. “I’ll be right back,” he said before disappearing into the bathroom.

                “Sorry about him Kory,” Brandon said apologetically. “Ever since his mom left, Trace hates the holidays. The holidays were the only time she ever really paid any attention to him. They bring up good memories, which hurt him. So he’s extra nasty around this time of the year. You have to have a ton of patience to put up with Trace around the holidays.”

                I frowned deeply. “Aw,” I said, feeling awful for Trace.

                “Don’t worry Brandon. I have a feeling Kory can cheer Trace up tomorrow,” mom said. She came over to me and wrapped her arms around me, kissing my cheek. “He has a habit of making people happy, even though he is obnoxious.”

                “Mom, you have this amazing ability to compliment me while also insulting me,” I said, unsure if I should be flattered or offended.