Veterans Day- The Stars That Night

"Pickup for Kelley," I said to the man at the counter. Silas stood next to me, unsure of how to handle the situation.

                The man checked his order log and disappeared into the backroom. He returned a minute later with a good sized box and placed it on the counter, telling us the cost.

                "Here," Silas said, handing over his money. The man gave him change and I took the box, balancing it carefully.

                We left the store, Silas carrying our other groceries. We went out to my car, and I handed the box to Silas before getting into the driver's seat.

                "I think this is nice," I said as I started the car.

                Silas shifted uncomfortably. "I guess."

                "Did you call your grandma?" I asked.

                Judging by his expression, I'd take that as a yes. "Yea. She said she'd send me money to repay me for buying all the stuff. Tried to tell her not to bother, but she's damn stubborn."

                "Reminds me of someone else I know," I said, laughing as he glared at me.

                "Hurry up and drive. Ray will be home in an hour," Silas said, checking the time.

                "I'm driving, I'm driving," I said.

                I reached Ray's house and helped Silas carry everything inside. We got to work setting up the kitchen together. Silas grew increasingly nervous as the time passed, fidgeting with some of the stuff we'd set up.

                "Hey, calm down," I said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "He's going to love it."

                It was a few more minutes before we heard the front door opening. Silas tensed up, not even relaxing when I put my hand back on his shoulder.

                "The call," I whispered, nudging him.

                He clumsily took out his phone and pulled up FaceTime. We could hear Ray setting his stuff down in the hallway as Silas's FaceTime rang before being answered. Silas turned the volume up, pointing his phone at himself and pressing his finger to his lips before turning the phone back towards the entrance to the kitchen.

                Ray appeared, looking down at his phone. He looked up and paused, eyes widening.

                "Happy Veterans Day!" we all chimed out, two voices coming from Silas's phone.

                Ray looked around the kitchen, where we'd set up some pictures of him in uniform, and him with his friends from the Marines. We'd also set up some food, a cake reading out "Happy Veterans Day Ray", and Ray's favorite beer (courtesy of Mr. Waymire- I'd told him it was for my dad).

                "Here, you take it. It's your parents," Silas said, holding his phone out to Ray.

                Ray took the phone, putting a hand on Silas's back as he looked at the pictures set up. "How'd you...?"

                "I emailed them to him." Mrs. Edmon's voice came out of the phone. Ray had it turned towards him, so I couldn't see her face. "He said he wanted to do something for you."

                "You didn't have to," Ray said, shaking his head. He rubbed the back of his neck. "I've been out of the service for a while. A lot of veterans deserve way more praise than I do."