Valentine's Day- Mark and Maxx

“Are you and Maxx doing anything special for Valentine’s Day?” Shaw asked as we walked into school together.

                I shrugged and blushed. “I don’t know. We didn’t talk about it. But I didn’t really talk to Maxx last night. His mom took him to the mall and out to dinner.”

                “You’re lucky. I get to be humped by my boyfriend’s little sister all night. Not my boyfriend. My boyfriend’s freaking nine year old sister!” Shaw pouted.

                I chuckled and pat Shaw on the back sympathetically. “It’ll be okay Shaw,” I said, smiling as he pouted deeper.

                “Marky, can I just hump you?” he asked with puppy dog eyes.

                “No! Bad Shaw!” I said sternly, flicking him in the nose.

                Shaw whined and swatted my hand away, rubbing his nose. We stopped at our lockers and grabbed our books before taking off in search of our boyfriends.

                “Shaw!”

                We stopped and turned to face Shaw’s boyfriend, Chandler. Chandler jogged over to us and embraced Shaw, kissing him.

                “Hi Chandler. Where’s Maxx?” I asked curiously, glancing around. I didn’t see any sign of my boyfriend.

                Before Chandler got the chance to answer me, arms wrapped around my waist. I jumped in surprise before smiling widely and craning my neck so that I could look up at Maxx.

                “Hey baby,” he greeted, kissing me.

                I turned in his arms and hugged him tightly. “Hi Maxx,” I said, smiling happily. “Are we doing anything today?”

                “What’s today?” he asked in confusion.

                “Very funny,” I said, rolling my eyes. I had a present that I absolutely couldn’t wait to give Maxx.

                “No, I’m serious. What’s today? Is there something special about today?” he asked.

                I glanced over at Shaw and Chandler. They were watching us, Shaw frowning deeply. Chandler met my eyes and shrugged helplessly, taking Shaw’s hand in his.

                “Maxx, you really don’t know what today is?” I asked, trying not to let any hurt show through.

                Maxx shook his head slowly. “No. It’s not an anniversary for us, right? It’s not your birthday…Hell, it’s not MY birthday. What’s today, Mark?”

                I chewed on my lip awkwardly. “Nothing,” I said after a minute. “It’s nothing Maxx. Don’t worry about it. I just want to know if you wanted to hang out.”

                “Oh,” he said, smiling. “Well, not tonight. I’m pretty tired. I really just want to go home and nap. Maybe tomorrow.” He kissed my cheek.

                How could Maxx honestly not know that today was Valentine’s Day? I mean, I know you should show someone how much you love them every day. But it was kind of like mother’s day. You loved your mom every day, but you didn’t buy her cards and gifts every day.

                The bell exploded and Maxx kissed me, grabbing my hand. “Come on. I’ll walk you to first period,” he said.

                “Nope. I’ll do that. Out of the way, asshole,” Shaw said, shoving Maxx away from me and grabbing my hand. He pulled me away from Maxx, ignoring him as he called after us.