Valentine's Day- Conversion Academy

"Look, I'm just saying, I don't want to be anywhere near my room tonight. Let me sleep over," Leo begged Mikayla.

                "Why doesn't Kaz just kick Pete out?" Mikayla said. "Toss him a sleeping pill or two and he won't care if he's sleeping in his bed or on the sidewalk."

                Pete frowned. "Don't be rude, Mika. I like my bed."

                "Can we talk about something else?" Kaz said. "I'm glad you're all so interested in what I'll be doing tonight, but I'm trying to eat."

                I put my hand over his mouth. "You and your stupid haircut shut up. I want Leo out of the room tonight. That dick is mine."

                "I'm going to eat at a different table," Beckett grumbled.

                "Listen kid, this is the one day a year I can be a thirsty bitch and disguise it as romantic instead of desperate," I said.

                "Can you control your sex urges for a fucking hour?" Mikayla said in annoyance.

                "Can you control your anger for a fucking hour? Didn't think so," I said, and ducked behind Kaz in absolute terror as she flexed her muscles at me. "I am so sorry, you're the most cheerful girl I've ever met. Also the most muscular. Oh my god I'm going to die before I get to suck dick one last time."

                "We're changing the topic or you can spend a romantic evening with your hand," Kaz said.

                "So that weather," I said brightly.

                "Idiot," Beckett grumbled, opening a small box of chocolates and letting Kaz take a piece.

                "Wait, wait, wait, did you actually get a Valentine's Day present?" I asked in surprise. "Some dumb little 11 year old has a crush on your angry ass?"

                Beckett glared at me. "The Blues all get a one on Valentine's Day. Leon gave me one because I used to be a Blue. I threw it at his head, but he put it back on my desk and left. Free chocolate."

                I frowned. "I'll be straight if it gets me free chocolate. Blues, here I come."

                "Or you could just wait until the candy all goes on sale tomorrow," Leo said. "Mika and I are sneaking into town to stock up on that sale candy."

                "Bring Kaz. What's a better sale than free?" Pete said.

                "He's got a point," Kaz said, tossing Pete a wallet. "Thanks for buying me a drink, roomie."

                Pete furrowed his brow. "I didn't...oh, you asshole."

                "I'll pay you back when we get back to the dorm. Just remind me," Kaz said, hiding a grin. He took another piece of chocolate from Beckett and handed it to me. "Here, now you can stop complaining."

                "Are we pulling a job tonight?" Mikayla asked. "All that slut-shaming and abstinence preaching in class was pissing me off."

                "Of course we're pulling a job tonight. I'll have everything together. Just meet up in the usual spot around one this morning," Kaz said. "It really irks me when teachers preach abstinence instead of safe sex. So, we'll educate everyone."

                We finished eating and got up, leaving the dining hall. Instead of heading back to the dorms, Kaz grabbed my hand and tugged me away from the others.

                "Let's take a little walk," he said.

                God I hope this walk led us right to his bed.

                I held his hand as we walked the usual path. Once we were in the quiet, surrounded by trees, I moved a little closer to Kaz, our shoulders brushing together as we walked.

                "A broke bitch couldn't get you anything," I said.

                "It's fine. I didn't expect anything," Kaz said. "Valentine's Day is one of those weird days. You should be affectionate towards your partner every day, but Valentine's Day is a day to make a big deal of that affection. I don't need a gift. Just walk with me."

                So we walked. We walked in comfortable silence, lapping the edges of the Academy. Kaz seemed content to do this for a while, so I struggled to keep my mouth shut and let him have his peace.

                We finally stopped walking, sitting together against a large tree. Kaz squeezed my hand a little and pulled something out of his pocket, holding it out to me.

                "Here," he said.

                I took it and shot him a suspicious look. "Did you steal this?"

                The smallest smile appeared on his face. "No. I paid for it. Just for you, Malley."

                It was a keychain from the Constance Academy book store. It had an outline of the school with "Constance Academy" printed along it.

                Kaz looked up at the sky. "I...guess I know how much little things can mean to people. Even just a keychain. And this place is shit, yea, but I'd like to think it's helped all of us. In ways it never intended to, of course, but you get what I mean. Plus, it's where we met. Cheesy, sure. But as much as we might hate this place, I think it defined our lives more than we want to admit. I don't think you should ever forget that." He held up a matching keychain. "I got one for myself, too. Did you know this is my first real Valentine's Day in a relationship? Aaron didn't believe in it."

                "Oh, shit," I said, biting my lip. "I thought this was a gag gift but I'm about to cry in the club. You sweet asshole." I put my hand on his cheek, pulling him closer so I could kiss him. "I have some money on my account for food. Let's go to the market. I'll buy us ice cream."

                "What, not feeling thirsty anymore?" he said.

                I shook my head. "I'm always feeling thirsty. But that can wait until later. Let's just...share ice cream."

                "Ice cream sounds good," he said, standing up and holding his hand out to me.

                He pulled me to my feet and kissed me. I put my arms around him, hugging him close as we kissed. He was right. Conversion Academy had defined our lives quite a bit.

                I was always down to get laid. But this was Kaz's first real Valentine's Day in a relationship. I was going to buy him ice cream and cuddle him during a bad sci-fi movie and kissed him so much his lips would be sore.

                "Let's go, Kaz," I said, taking his hand again.

                He smiled. "Lead the way, Malley."

                And we walked, keychains tucked away in our pockets and hands clasped together.