Father's Day- Blurring The Lines

Five year old Jin Amano peeked out into the living room. His father sat on the couch, newspaper in his hands.

"Mom, mom!" Jin whispered urgently, ducking back out of sight. "He's in there. He's awake."

"Well, you better go give him your card," his mom said, ruffling his dark hair.

Jin smiled and darted out into the living room. Kenji Amano barely had time to look up from the newspaper before his son was jumping onto his lap and hugging him tightly.

"Happy father's day, dad!" Jin said.

Kenji laughed and hugged Jin back. "Thank you, Jin. Is that a card for me you have there?"

"Uh-huh. I made it myself," Jin said proudly, holding the card out. "And look! I made you a present, too."

"I have the present," his mom, Monika, said, coming out with a neatly wrapped gift in her arms. As she brought it closer though, Kenji realized it was covered in tape. She noticed her husband looking and smiled. "Jin wanted to help wrap it."

"I did help wrap it," Jin said, grinning. "Mommy said I did a good job."

"It's like a puzzle, Ken. You like puzzles," Monika said, handing the cluster of paper and tape to him.

"Oh, boy, a puzzle," Kenji said with a sigh, adjusting Jin on his lap. "Help me open it, buddy?"

He and Jin tugged at the tape until they managed to pry it off. Kenji took the paper off and looked at the mug, with Jin's messy handwriting spelling out "best dad ever" on the mug, right under a printed on picture of him and Jin together.

"Wow, I love it, Jin! I can drink my coffee out of it every morning," he said.

Jin's eyes lit up. "Really? You will?"

"Of course I will!" Kenji ruffled Jin's hair and kissed him. "Thanks, Jin. I need to get you a mug that says 'best son ever' on it."

"I can drink my juice out of it while you drink your coffee," Jin said eagerly.

"We'd match," Kenji said, and kissed Jin again. "I love you, kid."

"I love you too, daddy," Jin said, snuggling against his father with a wide smile.

***

Kenji sat in the living room, working on a crossword puzzle. It was father's day, but he didn't expect much. Jin rarely even remembered what day it was once his drinking problem started. He'd spent father's days passed out or horribly hungover since he was 13.

Besides, this day just reminded Kenji how he'd failed as a father. He couldn't keep his own son from turning to drinking at such a young age. He'd been unable to help Jin. He'd had to send his own son away to strangers for help.

He heard a light creaking and looked up, hating the hope he felt. But it was just his wife, and he felt his expression fall a little.

Monika noticed and went over, squeezing his shoulder. "He's still asleep, I think. He was up late last night."

But then they both heard Jin's bedroom door open. Kenji didn't even pick his head up this time, just worked on his puzzle. It was okay if Jin forgot or didn't care. As long as he was sober, Kenji couldn't ask for any other gift.

"Hey."

Kenji picked his head up at the sound of Jin's voice. Jin was still in his pajamas, but he had his hat on, white hair slipping out from under it. He tossed a card onto Kenji's lap.

"Happy father's day," he said, and left to go into the kitchen.

Kenji and Monika both stared in surprise. Kenji picked up the card, even more surprised as he realized it was hand made. He opened it and read it, staring up at his wife when he was done.

She smiled, small but so overjoyed. "He's getting better. I'm so happy."

They looked over as Jin came out. He had two mugs in his hand, setting one down in front of Kenji and dropping on the couch next to him.

Kenji stared at the mug Jin had given him all those years ago. A happy little boy with a smile so bright. The mug was now filled with steaming coffee.

Jin didn't look at his dad as he drank out of his random mug. There was just orange juice in it.

Kenji couldn't help himself. He picked up his mug and put his arm around Jin, pulling him close. Jin seemed surprised, but he quickly wiped the emotion off his face.

"Thanks, Jin. I appreciate it," Kenji said.

"I don't care," Jin said, but he didn't pull away.

"I love you," Kenji said.

Jin didn't reply. But he also didn't say he didn't care.

Jin turned his head away, taking a sip of his drink. But Kenji could've sworn he saw Jin's lips tugging up a little at the corners.

It was something. It was more than enough. It was his son, back against his side, sober. It really was a happy father's day.

----------------------------------------

A.N.- This is so incredibly short because my dumbass forgot about father's day whoops. Who else would you guys want to see one for? (literally just like...scroll through the chapters on here so you know who already has one...or else I'll scream a lot thanks)