Father's Day- Social Menace

"Dad?"

                Vinny Strazio looked up. He'd been sitting at the kitchen table, and he watched as Tyson made his way over with a card in his hand.

                "Here. Happy father's day," Tyson said.

                Vinny frowned as he took the card. He knew why the little boy wasn't as enthusiastic as he usually was. He set the card down and gestured Tyson closer.

                He pulled Tyson onto his lap. "What's wrong, Ty?"

                Tyson looked up at him with sad eyes. "Do you think Patrick Mallory thinks of me on father's day?"

                Vinny sighed quietly. It was Tyson's first father's day after learning his biological father's name. They'd been expecting it to be a hard one for him. How did you tell a child his father had left him before he was even born? How did you tell a child his father was spending the day with two of his children, but that he hadn't one his first son?

                "I don't know, Ty," Vinny said honestly. "I hope he does think of you. I hope he thinks of you and it makes him sad. I hope he wonders how you're doing, and I hope he regrets not being able to know for himself."

                Tyson dropped his head a little. "I wish you were my real dad. I don't want it to be Patrick Mallory. I want it to be you."

                Vinny hugged Tyson tightly. "Hey, don't be sad. You're my son, Tyson. I raised you, and I'm going to keep raising you. I love you, buddy."

                Tyson looked up, his eyes watering. "I wish I looked like you."

                Vinny kissed his head. "Come on now, what do looks matter? We both throw our clothes on the floor and drive your mom crazy. We both sneak a few cookies before dinner. You're my boy."

                "I love you, dad," Tyson said, hugging Vinny, burying his face against Vinny's shoulder as his body trembled a little. "You're my dad. And you're the best dad in the world."

                Vinny hugged him back, hating Patrick Mallory. How could that asshole just abandon Tyson? He didn't deserve to celebrate father's day. He was no father. He was a coward, and a horrible person. Vinny pitied the two children stuck in Mallory's care. He was beyond grateful Tyson had been spared a life with a man who didn't even want him.

                Tyson picked his head up, wiping at his eyes. "Can we go play baseball outside, dad? Please?"

                "Of course we can," Vinny said, standing up and setting Tyson on his feet. "And tell you what, when we go out to dinner tonight, we can split dessert."

                Tyson's face brightened. "Really? We can?"

                Vinny reached out and put his arm around Tyson's shoulders. "Of course we can."

                Tyson's smile grew. He picked up the card off the table and held it out to Vinny again.

                "Here, don't forget your card!" Tyson hugged Vinny again. "I really am glad you're my dad."

                "And I'm really glad you're my son," Vinny said, holding Tyson close.

                No, Tyson wasn't biologically his. But that didn't matter. He'd been there for Tyson since before the boy was born. Mallory's loss was Vinny's greatest gain. He got to have a wife and son he loved.