Halloween- The Stars That Night

One thing I learned very quickly was that Silas hated Halloween.

                He hated all the jump scares, he hated not knowing who a person was when their costume hid their identity, and he hated random people showing up to the house all night.

                He told me that where he was from, Halloween wasn't a big thing. Some kids wore costumes to school the day of it, but trick or treating was rare because any parent that cared about their kid would take them out of town to somewhere much safer to go door to door.

                Silas had also told me that his parents thought costumes were a waste of money, so they never let him celebrate. The most they'd do was buy bags of Halloween candy once it was cheap and let Silas have some.

                "I ain't going to a haunted hayride," Silas said, rolling on his side so his back was to me.

                I put a hand on his shoulder and tugged him onto his back. "Silas, I was just asking if you wanted to come with us to be polite. I'm not going to force you to go. But before the hayride, we're doing a corn maze. It's not haunted; it's just a maze. It's a family friendly thing."

                "What, you're just gonna walk around in the damn dark, gettin' lost on purpose?" Silas said. "Nah, don't wanna go."

                "Si, come on, it'll be fun!" I said.

                There was a knock on the door and Ray came into Silas's bedroom. "Hey, Si, are you home tonight? I'll leave you money for pizza if you are."

                "He's going to a corn maze with me and my friends," I said.

                "No I ain't," Silas said, glaring at me.

                "The big one a half hour away?" Ray said. "You should go, Silas. It's pretty fun. Frustrating as hell, but fun."

                "You've gone?" I said.

                Ray shrugged. "Went there on a date a while back. Kept finding that damn blue marker."

                "Blue marker?" Silas said.

                "They hide four different colored markers in the maze and give you a map. The goal is to find all four, mark them where you think you are on the map, and then find your way out," I explained. "Sometimes they make it hard by looping paths back to one specific marker."

                "Unless you're just afraid to be embarrassed," Ray said with a shrug. "I get it Si, you don't want Garrett to know how bad at directions you are."

                Silas glared. "I ain't bad at directions."

                "All talk, no show," Ray said.

                "Oh yea?" Silas turned to me. "We're goin' tonight, and that's that."

                Ray winked at me. "Don't get lost, boys." He left the room and I hid a laugh, instead putting my arm around Silas's shoulders.

                "It'll be fun," I promised. "Dress warmly though."

                The two of us killed time until it got late. We grabbed jackets and left Silas's house, getting in my car. I drove to Akira's house, waiting until him and Jack came out and got in the car.

                "Oh, you convinced Silas to come?" Akira said.

                "Ray did," I said, taking off down the road. "I'm going to drop him back off home before we go to the haunted hayride, though."