Father's Day- Blurring The Lines

"Come on, Kai! Can't keep up with your old man?" Martin Humphrey teased.

               Kai peddled faster on his bike, leaning forward a little as he tried to catch up to his dad. The look of concentration on the boy's face had Martin laughing and slowing down.

               "Alright, alright, this is for fun, not a competition," Martin assured his son.

               Kai finally caught up to him, trying to hide how out of breath he was. "If it was a competition, I'd win."

               "Sure, kiddo," Martin said, reaching out and lightly slapping his hand against Kai's helmet. "Now, I want you to ride in front of me so I can make sure you're not swerving into the road when we turn out onto the main road."

               "Dad, I know how to ride a bike," Kai whined.

               "You ride in quiet neighborhoods. This is a busy road we're going on. Ride in front of me and make sure you're staying as far over as you can," Martin said sternly.

               Kai reluctantly rode on ahead of his father, and the two turned out onto the main road. Kai stayed over to the side, determined to show his father he knew how to be safe when he was out.

               When they finally turned down the quiet path that led to the lake, Kai grinned smugly back at his father. Martin rolled his eyes but nodded in approval.

               They rode until they reached the edge of the lake, and got off their bikes. Martin put an arm around Kai's shoulders and led him to a nice spot, shaded by a few trees.

               "Lunch time," he said, taking the bag off his bag and opening it to reveal containers of food. He smiled at Kai.

               Kai smiled back. "Yea! And I made sure mom packed the cookies we made."

               "Awesome," Martin said, taking it all out. Before he opened any of it though, he stood up and lifted Kai into his arms. He could feel Kai getting bigger, saw the way he reached things easier as he grew taller. It wouldn't be long before there was a Father's Day where he couldn't lift Kai in his arms anymore.

               "What are you doing?" Kai asked curiously, wrapping his arms around his dad's neck.

               Martin kicked his shoes and socks off and walked into the lake. It was a little chilly, but he waded out as far as he could without his shorts getting wet.

               "Check it out, kiddo. A great view, huh? We can come fishing sometime, if you want," he said.

               Kai brightened. "Yea! And we can catch frogs, too!"

               "Sure," Martin said, and kissed Kai's cheek. "Thanks for having lunch with me today."

               "I love you," Kai said, snuggling against Martin.

               "I love you too, Kai," Martin said, holding him just a little tighter as they looked out at the water together.

               "Can we swim and take a jog after we eat?" Kai asked.

               "That sounds great," Martin said, smiling. "But let's eat, take a break to digest, and then do that. Sound like a plan?"

               "Yea, daddy!" Kai said, but made no move to get down. "Can we just look a little longer?"

               Martin's eyes were on his son, growing up so fast, instead of the lake now. "Sure, Kai. We look a little longer."

                                                                                          ***