Halloween- The Only Faith

"I still can't believe your God-loving father lets the Academy throw a Halloween party every year," I said.

                Leon shrugged. "We always celebrated Halloween. My parents would take us out trick-or-treating every year."

                "Leon went as his dad when he was younger," Beckett said.

                Leon shot him that patiently exasperated look. "Not all of us have problems with our dads."

                "Just most of us," I said, raising my hand. "Mine sent me away."

                "Mine cheated on my mom," Tessa said, raising her hand.

                "Mine thought I was too violent and sent me away," Fagan said, raising his hand.

                "Mine pushed me to the point of a mental and emotional breakdown at the age of ten," Beckett said, raising his hand.

                "Why do I even bring it up?" Leon said with a sigh. "Well, I don't have problems with my dad. Beckett brought this up, anyways."

                "Kaz thought it was hilarious," Beckett said. "The scariest thing of all."

                "No, the scariest thing of all is the looming responsibility of adulthood," I said. "Headmaster Constance is the second scariest thing."

                "Halloween is such a stupid holiday," Fagan said.

                "Shut up and put your costume on, Lupin," I said.

                The Academy held a Halloween dance every year and we were all going as Harry Potter universe characters. I was Sirius, Beckett was James, Fagan was Lupin, Tessa was Hermione, and Leon was Newt. We figured they were simple costumes to pull off, they didn't make us look stupid, and we could convince Beckett and Fagan to go along with it.

                I pulled on the Hogwarts robe and fixed my tie. The other pulled on their robes, and Leon pulled on his coat.

                "We're too old for this," Beckett said.

                "Shut up and learn to have fun," I said.

                He pulled out his yo-yo and I yanked Leon in front of me. Leon shot me that patiently exasperated look and then turned a stern one on Beckett.

                "Put the yo-yo away. We don't need a fight at the Halloween party. You know your yo-yo is banned around the school," Leon said. He looked exhausted, having stayed up last night to help his family set up for the Halloween party. "Don't make me ask twice. No, please, don't make me ask twice."

                Beckett reluctantly put his yo-yo away. Fagan watched the situation, looking bored.

                "Don't let the Prince tame you, Beck. You're boring when you're not hitting people with a child's toy," Fagan said.

                "Fine, if it'll amuse you..." Beckett whipped the yo-yo out and whacked Fagan with it before Fagan had a chance to move.

                "Ow, fuck, I deserved that but it still fucking hurt!" Fagan hissed.

                Leon pinched the bridge of his nose. "This is going to be a long night."