Valentine's Day- The Only Faith

"Freedom!" I cheered as we left our last class.

                "Freedom to go piss off Constance by spending Valentine's Day with his kid?" Fagan said.

                "Freedom to do exactly that," I said, checking my phone. My face paled a little. "Oh, god, exactly that. Leon wants me to meet him outside his father's office in ten minutes."

                "Good. If Constance kills you, you'll be out of our hair," Beckett grumbled.

                "You're just jealous that you're single," I said, flinching away from his yoyo. "And this is exactly why you're single. Good luck finding a woman with a yoyo kink as intense as yours."

                Tessa pushed Beckett's hand away before he could hit me. "Let's go. Leave Brennan to his fate."

                "Sounds good to me. I can't wait to have the room to myself again," Fagan said cheerfully.

                I left them and headed for Constance's office. God, I was praying Leon wasn't leading me into a trap. Dying didn't sound like a good Valentine's Day present.

                Well, I mean, death meant no more Conversion Academy, and no need to ever pay taxes or get an adult job or...

                Hey, maybe Leon really was giving me a good gift here.

                I reached the office, the doors shut. I leaned against the wall across from the door, wondering if I should knock or just text Leon.

                I settled for texting Leon, who opened the doors a moment later and let me in. Constance glanced over at me, his cell phone haphazardly between his shoulder and his ear as he tried to gather paperwork.

                "Yes, I'll be down in a moment, Abby. No. No, Leon is here with me. I know, I already talked to him about it. I'll see you in a minute, Abby." He hung up and gathered the last of his stuff, holding his car keys out to Leon and fixing him with a stern look. "Home by nine. Not a minute later."

                "Yes, dad," Leon said, taking the keys from him. "Thank you. I'll lock up the office for you. Don't keep mom waiting."

                "I'll trust the two of you to behave," Constance said before leaving his office.

                "I asked dad if I could take his car," Leon explained once his father was gone. "I wanted to take you off campus."

                "Oh, whisking me away for a romantic night?" I said.

                "More like a romantic evening. I can't be out at night. I have a curfew," he said, fixing up some things in the office. "My mom said she'd pick dad up so I could take his car. I didn't want to waste time heading home to get my car."

                He took my hand and pulled me out of the office, locking it up. He led me down to the parking lot and over to a very nice car.

                "This is worth more money than my organs on the black market," I said, getting into it.

                Leon rolled his eyes. "Brennan, Beckett's dad drives a nicer car than this. Stop being overdramatic."

                "So, where are we going?" I asked as he pulled out of the parking lot. I pulled my vest off, deciding I would spare Leon the embarrassment of being seen with a Maroon off campus. But then I looked too formal in just a button-up and slacks, so I undid the top few buttons of my shirt and rolled the sleeves up. "Do I look handsomely casual now?"

                Leon let out a patiently exasperated sigh. "Sure, Brennan. That's the term for it."

                "I wish you would've told me we were going on a date. I could've dressed in something super attractive." I paused and frowned. "Actually, I don't think I own anything like that. But I could've at least worn jeans and been comfortable."

                "I didn't want to waste time. I knew dad was going to give me a curfew," he said, and held his phone out to me. "Here, why don't you pick a song?"

                I took the phone from him, hooking it up to the car. I scrolled through his songs before settling on one and turning the volume up. We let the music be the only words between us as I looked out the window, trying to guess where we were going. I wasn't familiar much beyond the campus or the central hub of the town, but from what I could tell, we were getting towards a quieter section of town.

                He finally parked the car and we got out. Leon came around and took my hand in his, leading me along a quiet trail shaded by trees. The wind whispered through the leaves above us, shadows dancing beneath our feet as we walked.

                "I love this trail," Leon said at last. "Adam showed it to me when I was younger. I was really stressed out, so he brought me here and we walked it together. He brought me here every day after school until I felt better. I started coming on my own when I got older. This is my favorite place. It lets me think." He blushed a little, looking away. "I came here when I started to get feelings for you. I...I'd only ever had a crush on Beckett, so I was stressed because I didn't know what to do about getting feelings for you. Beckett was like a safeguard; he knew, I knew, but it was okay but he was straight so it wasn't dangerous."

                I squeezed his hand. "You calling me dangerous? I guess I am a bad boy."

                He pulled me to a stop and led me off the trail, into the grass. He sat down, back against a tree, me next to him.

                "I want you to know my favorite place," he said, finally meeting my eyes.

                I looked past him at the scenery. It was quiet, calm. I hoped it made Leon feel like that on the inside when he walked it.

                "Well, I don't have a favorite place to show you, but I did get you something," I said, reaching my bag and pulled out a wrapped gift. "I'm broke, so be easy on me."

                He took it from me and unwrapped it carefully and gave a small, genuine smile. It was a rose, sheltered by plastic.

                "Happy Valentine's Day," I said, kissing his cheek. He'd never gotten to celebrate with anyone, and now he got to celebrate with a man, with his family knowing the truth of his sexuality and still loving him.

                He peeled back the plastic and lightly brushed his fingers along the petals of the rose. "Thank you, Brennan."

                I pulled him close to kiss him. He'd gifted me his favorite place. I'd gifted him the normalcy of a typical Valentine's Day.

                It felt right. His kisses felt right. His hand held in mine felt right.

                "Shit," I breathed against his mouth. "Who knew you'd go from annoying me to complimenting me."

                "Who knew you'd go from dumping ice cream on me to dumping sappy lines on me," he said, but he was smiling widely. "Happy Valentine's Day, Brennan."

                I checked the time. "We have a few hours until your curfew."

                "We can go get dinner," he offered.

                I shook my head. "Later. I want to walk the trail. I like it here."

                He helped me to my feet, his eyes alight with joy. "Me too. It's even better with company."

                So we held hands, and we walked his favorite trail, and he held the rose I'd given him. It was a quiet Valentine's Day, but it was the best I'd ever had.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A.N.- I forgot how to write these two I am so sorry it's been so long oh god. Happy Valentine's Day, though!