95. He teaches you how to whistle (Kids)

You stomped your foot. The more you tried, the worse you seemed to get.

"What're you doin'?"

Whipping around, you found a boy your age; a striped polo shirt and blonde-brunette hair said he was not entirely like you, however.

Raising your nose in the air, you told him, "My daddy was whistling this morning. It was very pretty. And I can sing and make pretty noises too but I can't whistle."

"You're doin' it wrong."

You glared at him. "Excuse me?"

He smirked. "You're excused."

You huffed. "You're rude."

"Yeah, but I can whistle!" he boasted, grinning.

Rolling your eyes, you crossed your arms over your chest. "Well then maybe I don't want to anymore."

The boy shrugged. "Whatever," he said, before moving toward the jungle gym sitting center in the park you were visiting. Your dad was on a bench not far away, reading, and since your ballet lesson had been cancelled, he offered to bring you to the park to play.

Unfortunately, you didn't have many friends. Or, well, any at all. In fact, you were the only seven year old who was best friends with her dad and mom and while you didn't see anything wrong with that, you had noticed that sometimes they looked a little worried.

So it was with some uncertainty that you turned toward the boy, now hanging upside down from the monkey bars, and implored, "Will you teach me?"

He stared at you, crossed his arms over his chest, and gave you a lopsided smile. "What's in it for me?"

You frowned, your brows furrowed. "I don't know..." You dug your hand into the pocket of your pleated skirt and told him, "I have one dollar, a piece of gum, and this mint..."

With a sigh, he flipped himself off the bars and landed perfectly, looking quite smug about it too. "How 'bout a kiss?"

You tipped your head. "A kiss? You mean on the cheek?"

"No, on the lips, dummy." He rolled his eyes. "That's how boys and girls kiss."

"What if there's two boys and they kiss on the lips?" you told him.

He shrugged. "Well I like girls. What do you like?"

You blinked. "Boys, I think."

"I'm a boy."

You stared at him. "Yes, but you have funny hair."

He frowned at her and reached up. "Is not!"

You twisted your mouth up skeptically. "If you say so..."

"I do," he said stubbornly.

Sighing, you rocked back on your heels. "So if I kiss you on the lips, you'll teach me how to whistle like my daddy?"

He nodded.

You took a tentative step toward him. "Shouldn't we shake on it? Daddy always says when you make a deal, a gentleman shakes!"

The boy held a hand out but then pulled it back in, spat in his palm, and held it out again.

You stared down at it in disgust. "Do I have to...?"

"It's the rules, princess."

With a long sigh, you turned your own hand over, spat hesitantly into your palm, and then reached over and shook his.

The boy held on a second longer and then tugged you in. You stumbled before using your other hand to catch yourself on his shoulder. You stared wide- and cross-eyed at his nose. "I... Um..." You met his eyes and swallowed tightly. "You... have very pretty eyes," you told him.

His brow furrowed. "You have shiny hair."

You grinned. "I use special shampoo."

He shrugged.

Your eyes dropped. "What's your name?" you wondered. You told him yours proudly.

"Niall."

"Niall." You tipped your head uncertainly. "That's your whole name?"

"Nah, my ma calls me Niall James when I get in trouble... But mostly I punch other people who call me that, so... I'm Niall."

"Will you punch me if I call you Niall James?" you wondered.

He took a minute to think it over, head cocked, before finally telling you, "Well, ma says I can't hit girls... And I'm strong and you're not, so that'd be dumb... Plus you're pretty and you prolly won't kiss me if I do, so... no."

You grinned. "I'm going to call you Niall anyway."

"My ma's gonna call me home soon... I'm supposed to be cleaning my room but I climbed out my window... So we should hurry up."

You bit your lip. "Okay... But I've never kissed anybody but my parents so I might-"

Niall cut you off by pressing his lips to yours. You stared wide-eyed as one second, two, and finally six whole seconds went by before he leaned away.

For a moment, you just stared at his lips, where your grape chapstick had rubbed off.

"That-That was... Um... Very nice," You told him.

He grinned. "Yeah, I'm a good kisser."

You blushed. "Do you kiss a lot of girls?"

"Only pretty ones."

You ducked your head and smiled.

You heard your name and turned your head to see your daddy calling you. "It's time to go."

Your face fell and you called back, "But daddy, Niall was going to show me how to whistle!"

"Later, Bunny, we have to go," he replied, waving your flower power purse at you.

"Fine," you sighed, turning on your heel to face your first kiss. "Well, maybe I'll see you here again... It can be a..." Your brow furrowed. "A rain check," you said excitedly.

Niall shrugged. "Okay. But it's a kiss a lesson."

You backed up as you heard your dad call you again. "Goodbye, Niall!"

He waved a hand as you hurried off to catch up with you dad, grabbing his hand when he was within reach.

"Who's this Niall, sweetie?" Your daddy asked as you walked back to the car.

"He's my whistle teacher," you told him.

"That's nice," he said pleasantly.

"Uh-huh..." You swung your arms back and forth as you skipped next to him. "He's a very good kisser."

You weren't sure you'd ever heard ever heard your daddy make that strangled noise before. It was quite distressing.

---

(11 years later)

You whistled casually as you flipped through your textbook, careful to mark the pages you needed to study.

Your boyfriend looked up from his spot on your floor, grinning fondly at you. "Nice whistling, babe. Wonder who taught you..." He trailed off, laughing when you threw your pillow at him.

"I was tricked into it, thank you very much," you retorted, going back to your previous whistling.

He got up from his spot and walked over to your position on the bed. "Practice makes perfect," he said, kissing the top of your head lightly.

You rolled your eyes and tugged at his shirt, bringing him eye level with you. His blue eyes twinkled with humor. "Shut up, Niall James," you teased, tugging him closer to kiss his lips.