19. You see him for the first time since childhood pt. 2

I managed to avoid Niall for the remainder of the day. The reception hall was huge - it was as if every person that was present at the wedding decided to bring three additional people with them.

I'll admit, I was having fun. It was nice catching up with old faces, especially since I haven't seen them in so long. Maybe this wasn't going to be a bad night after all.

"Attention everyone, I would like to present the best man speech," a voice at the head table called.

Oh, so it was THAT time. I gulped before slowly adjusting my seat to face them, hoping that the small arrangement of balloons a few feet away would obscure my view.

It didn't.

I watched as every guest's attention was turned towards Niall. Niall was fidgeting slightly before bringing the microphone up to his mouth.

"Uh... Hi." He started. "Thank you all for coming to my brother's wedding. We all appreciate it. Let's give it up for the happy couple!" He said again, while everyone cheered.

When everyone quieted down, he continued. "This has even an exciting year for both my brother and me. I never realized how much I've missed being away," he said quietly, his eyes searching in the crowd. I watched as they settled on mine before I looked away. Great.

He cleared his throat. "I am so proud of my brother, for finally finding the love of his life. He used to tell me all of the time how he would never settle for anything less than perfect and now I see that he was right."

He turned to the couple and raised his glass. "To the happy couple... May you have a blessed and fulfilling life together. Cheers."

Everyone applauded after raising their glasses for Greg and Denise.

-

"I thought I saw you around," a deep voice whispered in my ear.

I groaned. So much for being completely invisible for the night. I didn't look up from my table, though. "It's nice seeing you again, Niall."

I felt a hand on my shoulder and finally looked up, meeting the blue eyes I've missed so much. "Wanna dance? I think we have a lot to catch up on." He raised an eyebrow.

I faced him hesitantly. "I don't think one dance will cover everything we have to catch up on, Nialler."

He grinned at his nickname. "Well, it's a good thing the night's just getting started."

I rolled my eyes as I allowed him to whisk me away to the dance floor. I forgot how easy Niall made everything seem. He was just genuinely a charismatic person to begin with.

Maybe this wouldn't be too bad.