82. You take a walk in the park

There was a gentle breeze that morning as we walked through the park, hand in hand. The middle of spring had always been one of my favourite times of year, when the weather is beginning to warm up and the flowers beginning to bloom, as well as the baby animals that were just so adorable.

Niall walked next to me, holding my hand tightly as we walked in comfortable silence. I glanced over to him to see him smiling at me. I blushed and returned the gesture, and Niall winked, squeezing my hand affectionately. I giggled slightly as he leant in and kissed my cheek gently, making sure to eskimo-kiss my cheek with his nose before he pulled away.

The park was quite empty that morning, which made it easier for us both to see the black blur bounding towards us, barking happily. Beside me Niall immediately perked up, watching the dog with eyes alight with a child-like desire. I knew what he was thinking, and I hoped that the dog was wearing a collar and the owner would soon appear, calling it back.

But no owner appeared. As the dog got closer, Niall dropped to the ground, squatting so as to be closer to the dog. Niall still held onto my hand, his protective nature over me still shining through after all the years we'd been together.

"Aww, babe, he's adorable!" Niall cried as he nearly got thrown backwards by the animal throwing itself at him, yapping excitedly. Niall pulled me down to their height, by accident or not I wasn't sure, and the dog immediately came over to me, pawing at my hands to give it some attention. I could see now that it was clearly a Labrador; my favourite breed of dog. Niall ruffled the fur on its head with his free hand, causing the dog to turn its attention back to him, licking his hand and making Niall laugh at the sensation. "Oh, she." Niall amended as the dog rolled over to expose her tummy, yapping happily for Niall to tickle her.

I could see how happy he was, but I felt a pang of dread for the inevitable. All too soon it happened; Niall turning to me with a wide grin and blue eyes twinkling as he said;

"Baby, can we keep her?"