16. The voicemail he leaves after you break up

You walk in to your apartment after a long night out with your friends. It was one of the best nights you've had in a while.

One new message

Your answering machine beeped the second you closed your door. You were confused because no one contacted you through your house phone. You kicked off your heels as you pressed the button.

"Heeeey," a slurred voice said. Your heart dropped immediately... that was a voice you haven't heard in at least five months. "Hey, Y/N, hey. It's Niall... I hope you remember me... I don't know...I'm not even that drunk... I uh... still had your house number on my contacts so that's why I'm calling... I didn't know break ups - No, not now Greg, just leave - anyways... I didn't know break ups were so hard... I thought it got better through time... Uh... how do you feel? Do you feel the same..."

By this time, you were sitting on the floor, with your knees pulled in your chest. You didn't know how to react, but your heart was hurting desperately.

"Sorry for bothering you..." the machine continued. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that I miss -"

The machine cut off there and you scrambled up to play the message again. Apparently he sent it two hours before you came back.

After replaying the machine for the third time, you reached in your pocket for your phone. You clumsily dialed his number, after memorizing it a long time ago. The phone rang once before he picked up.

"Hello?"