35. You ride a rollercoaster

At first Niall thought it would be weird - to ride the rollercoaster alone. After all, amusement parks are something that can thoroughly be enjoyed only sharing the fun with friends. He wanted to grab Harry with him - but he was currently swept away by his own competitiveness with a 5-year-old child in a cruel and stressful fight over trying to catch a goldfish, so Niall got irritated and after forty minutes of waiting, decided that he had earned that rollercoaster ride.

He was already set on going alone, but after the worker checked on his security belt, a girl his own age came from the other side and occupied the vacant seat near him.

"So you're alone too?" Niall asks, immediately feeling dumb. Normally, he would never strike a conversation with a complete stranger, but nervous pre-near-death-experience jitters made him want to talk.

"What?" The girl said, looking at him. "No, uhm, my friend is actually trying to win that big teddy bear for my other friend, so I just -"

"Couldn't take it anymore," they conclude in unison, and then stare at each other with incredulity.

"My friend Harry is probably still trying to catch a goldfish, so I know how you feel," Niall jokes.

The girl smiles, but doesn't say anything. There's an uncomfortable silence and suddenly the rollercoaster jolts forward. The panic level starts rising inside of Niall again. "Oh god, I've never been on a rollercoaster before," he blurts out, already not caring that he probably sounds breathless and scared to someone he just met, who just happened to be a cute girl.

"Don't be afraid," the girl says, and she does sound earnestly supportive. "It"s completely safe."

The rollercoaster starts to move slowly, gaining speed as it goes up the initial slope.

"Oh my god, oh my god," Niall mutters under his breath. Suddenly the whole brilliant idea of proving his bravery seems to be overrated. He fidgets in his seat, trying not to look down, and grips tight at the handle.

"I'm too young to die, I'm too young," he continues babbling. He should have stayed near Harry, should've -

"Wanna hold onto me?" The girl says suddenly, offering her hand to Niall, and she's probably blushing but Niall doesn't notice as he grabs her hand so tight his knuckles turn white.

Afterwards, everything is a blur in Niall's brain, between screams and her hand, and the rollercoaster moving faster than light, up and down in a circle. It's scary but quick and suddenly Niall finds himself breathing heavily as the rollercoaster stops at the beginning of the track.

"Well that was fun," the girl laughs, still holding onto his hand.

"Oh god, I'm so embarrassed," Niall turns to her, unfastening his seat belt. "I screamed so hard I may have damaged your ears, I'm sorry. I am a boy I swear -"

"Hey, no! I thought you were totally cute," the girl said and as she realizes what she said, her eyes widen and now she's definitely blushing.

"You did?" Niall said, gaining back his manhood as he helps her out of the cart.

"Yeah," the girl says simply. Suddenly everything feels too awkward; they're two strangers holding hands out of the rollercoaster, so the girl tentatively lets go of her hand.

But somehow they both don't want to say goodbye just yet.

"How about we go find our friends and then make them ride the rollercoaster and watch them suffer?" Niall offers immediately, making her laugh.

"Sounds like a plan," she smiles.