89. It was a dare

"Truth or dare... Y/N!!"

You sighed, rolling your eyes. "Truth," you said, sitting up and crossing your legs. For some reason, when Louis, Harry, Liam, and Zayn had cornered you after their practice and informed you you were playing truth or dare with them, you hadn't fought with them. The boys loved pulling out the game whenever they could but usually you never joined in - nobody could ever think of anything original to ask so they always ended up asking the same questions..

"Who do you like?"

Like that one.

You sighed, figuring that getting it over and done with was the best bet. "Niall," you muttered, staring down at the carpet. Why did you pick today to join in?

Well, at least Niall had gone out for the afternoon - his mother's birthday was coming up and he needed to get her a present - otherwise he would be here too. Niall might love playing the game, but you didn't want your confession of feelings to be in the middle of a game like this.

"Y/N?" Zayn poked his knee lightly and he looked up to see everyone's attention on him, Harry and Louis lowering their hands suspiciously as if they had just shared a high-five. "It's alright, we all knew anyway."

You groaned. "Great. Does that mean he does too?"

Louis snorted. "Yeah right. Niall's completely oblivious. Anyway, it's your turn to ask someone."

"Fine. Liam, truth or dare?"

Liam deliberated for a second. "Dare."

You grinned. "Kiss Zayn."

Amidst the splutters and complaints, you allowed himself to drift back to his thoughts. So, Niall doesn't know, just everyone else? You had thought you had been fairly subtle with your attraction to your friend, but the fact that everybody knew was concerning.

Laughter rose as Liam leant in, giving Zayn a kiss on the top of his head. Zayn shuddered theatrically before laughing. "Not the first time I've had to kiss someone in truth or dare."

The game continued, you drifting in and out of focus while you thought about Niall. Now that you knew that everybody else knew, you had started worrying about someone telling Niall or about it slipping out accidentally.. and what would happen the next time you played this game with Niall and they asked -

"Y/N?"

"Huh? Oh, dare."

The second the word slipped out of your mouth, you winced. Looking up, you saw a group of evil smirks and groaned. "What are you going to do to me?"

Louis laughed. "Well, since you made Liam kiss Zayn, I think it's only fair that you have to kiss someone."

You rolled your eyes. "Okay, Harry, right?"

"Niall."

You froze, staring frantically at Louis. "No, you're kidding... aren't you?"

Louis shook his head, smirk still firmly in place. You immediately began to think. Okay, it's fine, just tell him the guys dared you to and get it over with... "Okay."

"Oh, and you're not allowed to tell him it's a dare." Louis folded his arms, looking satisfied. Harry and Zayn shared a high-five and you glared at them.

"Come on, that's not fair!"

Liam rolled his eyes at the rest of the boys who were looking immensely proud of themselves. "Obviously you all don't remember what it was like to kiss someone for the first time, not knowing whether they wanted it or not. And we were all in relationships when that happened."

With that, the guys pulled themselves together. Zayn looked sheepish, Harry and Louis not as much. "A dare's a dare," Louis reminded them. "Just do it spontaneously, and see what happens."

You grumbled under your breath and crossed your arms, refusing to join in for the rest of the game as your mind worked in overdrive. How am I meant to go up to Niall, the guy I love and kiss him like it means nothing?

-

Three days later and you were a nervous wreck. Every time you had seen Niall, your mind had reminded you of the kiss that was still pending and you found yourself making excuses to get out of wherever you were as quickly as possible. It didn't help that the other boys were winking and muttering things under their breath any time they saw you beginning to feel awkward.

It really didn't help that Niall looked like a kicked puppy any time you made up an excuse, and you knew if you dragged it out any longer then Niall would be confronting you and asking what was going on.

So, completely spontaneously? You could do that, right?

Niall was standing with the rest of the boys after practice, laughing about something. You had just entered the dressing room and was about to turn and run when you stopped yourself. No, this ends now.

Niall had his back to you, but Zayn caught your eye questioningly. You nodded and the boy broke into a huge grin, elbowing Louis who was beside him. You knew that any second, Niall would realize something was going on, and you needed the element of surprise on your side to get through it.

Striding up to the group, you heard the tail end of a conversation spearheaded by Josh. "- and then she decided I'd make a good coatrack and threw all of her bags on me while she kept shopping..."

You tapped Niall on the shoulder and the boy turned to face you. Before he could say anything or even show any signs of recognition, you grabbed his shoulders and pulled him in, kissing him. All conversation ceased as everybody stared at you. You broke the contact quickly and turned, walking away briskly as the tears filled your eyes. There you go, dare done. Now you can pretend this never happened.

This time it was a hand on your shoulder, pulling you back to meet Niall's eyes which were burning. "You don't just do that and walk away," he growled and your heart sunk, snapped in two, disintegrated...

"Because then I can't do this." Niall reached one hand around the back of your head, pulling them together so your lips met again. And this time you actually let yourself feel what was going on - the pressure of Niall's lips against yours, seeking you out; Niall's hand twisting lightly in your hair. You snaked your own arms around Niall's neck, pulling him closer and feeling your heart beating almost out of your chest because you had never thought this would actually happen.

Niall pulled away first this time, resting his forehead against yours. You blocked out the sounds of the other people wolf whistling and cheering, instead focusing on the myriad of emotions glittering behind Niall's blue eyes.

"So why did you walk away?"

You chuckled. "I'll tell you some day. Maybe."

A/N: Part 2 of the previous chapter will be up tomorrow! I have a lot of homework and studying to do tonight, but once I finish it, it'll be smooth sailing from there! Thank you so much for your comments and views. It means a lot!