45. You go to the pet store

Niall paused on the sidewalk, jerking Y/N to a stop next to him, almost making her spill her coffee. "Look! A pet store! Can we go in? Please?"

Y/N sighed, glancing longing down the block towards where she knew the car was parked. "Okay," she agreed finally, giving into Niall's puppy dog eyes.

She couldn't help but smile as Niall bounced excitedly into the store - heading straight to the back to look at the fish in the aquariums. He pulled her with him, loudly comparing the different colors as they looked at the tanks. Niall turned to look at the birds, pausing for the hermit crabs, watching them in fascination.

"Babe, I want a bird." Niall announced, whistling at the birds and laughing delightedly when one whistles back.

"Niall, you told me the last time you owned a bird, you let it out of its cage and it flew away." Y/N said matter-of-factory, pulling him away.

"I was ten!"

It didn't last long, for Niall caught sight of the puppies and hurried towards them, completely ignoring the small rodent section. When Niall crouched next to the glass cage, one hand on the side as he looked up at Y/N pleadingly, Y/N took a step back.

She knew that look.

"I still don't understand why we just HAD to get a puppy today," Y/N complained as she drove.

Niall was contentedly hugging a tiny/wriggly puppy to his chest. "But look at him, babe! He's all fluffy and adorable and we couldn't just LEAVE him there, all alone in that cage..." He laughed happily as the puppy licked his chin.

Y/N glanced over at them. "He is cute." She allowed.

Niall beamed. "I want to call him Buster."

"No." She muttered, deadpan. "He'll be clumsy and stupid."

"Liam?"

"No."

"Timmy?"

"Maybe." Y/an said softly, merging while glancing at the dog.

"Remus?"

"No, he'll turn into a werewolf."

Niall laughed appreciatively. "What can we name him then?" He almost whined, making the dog kick him more enthusiastically.

Y/N chewed her lip thoughtfully, glancing at the dog, then back to the road a couple of times. "Archie." She said softly, and Niall's eyes lit up.

"That's perfect! We could teach him how to sing and play guitar!" She narrowed her eyes, but found the imagery pretty amusing.

"Puppy Archie." Niall announced. "I love you. You are going to get a cute little jacket and dress you up!"

"No." Y/N cried, horrified. "The poor dog..."

Niall snickered, nuzzling his new friend, who yipped at him happily. "I knew this was a good idea."