53. He proposes

A/N - I am so sorry for the delay. I have a week long vacation from school so hopefully I can get a few more updates before I go back to school. Here's a quick update. :) 

Niall bit his lip while he looked out the window of the passenger seat. "Yeah, Zayn - make sure everything's perfect, okay? Yeah, we had a great time - she loved the roller coasters. I told you a fair was an even better idea than going to the zoo. She forgot her coat in the restaurant so she's not here... yeah, okay. We'll be on our way, just lock the front door." Niall looked up again and saw his girlfriend leave the small Italian restaurant. "I gotta go, Zayn. Thanks man." 

The second he hung his phone up, his girlfriend opened the car door. "It's incredibly chilly out," Y/N sighed, turning up the heat in the car. She zipped up her coat and kicked off her heels. "I'm so tired," she yawned, stretching her body against the leather seat.

Niall started the car and looked behind his shoulder as he backed up. "Well, did ya have fun then?" He smirked, already knowing the answer. 

Y/N laughed and rolled her eyes. "I screamed and walked around so much. I can't wait to go home and just sleep," she yawned again. 

Niall raised his eyebrows but didn't say anything more. Y/N always pestered him for not being as romantic as he should be so tonight he was going to go all out and ask the love of his life to marry him - the right way. He was going to make up for all of the moments where she outdid him in the romance department, so help him god. 

By the time he reached the highway, Y/N was dead asleep in her seat, snoring softly. Niall lowered the volume of the radio and continued to drive smoothly, letting his thoughts wander to every step of the plan. 

Bump.

The car hit a sudden bump in the road and began to slow down progressively. Y/N jumped awake and looked at Niall, panic in her face. "What happened? What happened?!" 

Niall sighed and pulled over to the side of the road. They were in the middle of nowhere - thirty minutes away from Mullingar. Even though Niall guessed that it was a probable blown tire, he couldn't help but chuckle at his girlfriend's expression. "It's okay - it's just a blown tire."

Y/N raised a perfectly shape eyebrow, already masking the stern expression on her face. "Just a blown tire, Niall?"

Niall gave her a quick kiss on the forehead before leaving the car. "Don't worry - I always keep a spare in the back. Don't you remember?" The amount of times they had blown tires was too many to count - it was insane. 

Y/N slipped on her heels and followed her boyfriend out to the back tires, shivering at the sudden cold. Niall was on his knee, turning the tire carefully. "Spare please," he said without taking his eyes off the tire. The sooner he could get it out, the sooner they can continue their night. He really hoped Zayn locked the front door. 

"Yes sir," Y/N said, rolling the spare towards Niall. "I can't believe this happened so many times that we actually have a system," she murmured. 

"I know, you've come a long way. I don't have to worry about you not being able to fix a tire anymore," Niall grunted as he continued working.

Y/N rolled her eyes. "Do you remember that one time when we were hiking in Norway and the rental car's tire blew out?" She smiled, recalling the memory. At the time, she was crying because they were stuck in a similar situation (she was sure Niall was crying, too although he failed to admit it) and she had no idea what the hell she was doing. 

Niall laughed. "Of course I remember - you were outright bawling," he teased. "How long ago was that? Two or three years ago?" 

"It was at least three or four," Y/N bit her lip, deep in thought. "It's going by so fast - can you believe it?" She began to walk away from the car, smiling. 

"I know," Niall agreed, momentarily forgetting the tire and following her a few feet away from the car. "It was all so different back then," he smiled at her, handing her his jacket. 

Y/N took it gratefully. They stood in silence for a while until Niall burst out in laughter. "D'ya remember that one time we had to call Harry to save us when we got stuck outside of London? He was so mad because he missed his lunch date."

"Oh yeah," Y/N laughed along with him, her laughter echoing off into the distance. "He was scarier than my mum under those circumstances." 

Niall laughed louder and shook his head. "This was definitely not how I planned my night to go."

Y/N shook her head. "I'm right with you, babe." More silence. Niall's heart started to quicken. Five years he's been with her and not a day had gone by that his heart wasn't happy to see her. Tonight was no different - it was like that feeling was magnified by a thousand. He tried to distract himself by looking up at the night sky - a million stars already twinkling in the distance. It reminded him of their first flat together. It had a balcony that they would just lay in for hours on end until each star would disappear and then the sun would come up. 

"Do you remember our first flat?" Y/N spoke up after a few minutes have gone by. 

Niall looked at her, admiration and fondness in his eyes. "Yes... what made you think of that?" 

Y/N put her hands in the sleeves of his jacket and shrugged. "I don't know," she smiled shyly. "The stars, I guess."

Niall knew. "Alright, c'mon let's do this," he announced, walking back to the tire. 

Y/N followed him to the tire and watched as he got down on one knee to finish the job. Instead of turning the jack, Niall reached in his pants pocket and drew out a box, a knowing look in his eyes. "I was going to wait until later, y'see, but I don't think this situation describes our relationship more perfectly than it does now."

"Stranded in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire?" Y/N asked quietly, tears brimming her eyes.

Niall chuckled. "Good guess but no. With a big of a world out there, love... we're always together. It's almost as if it's us against the world. There's no one else I'd rather spend my life with and I love you so much, baby. I want it to be like this forever. Us against the world," he looked up, his blue eyes twinkling. "What do you say?"

Y/N's tears were free falling at this point but she continued to stay silent. 

He chuckled awkwardly. "No pressure, love - there really isn't. But it's below freezing level and a, 'I'll answer in the car, if it's okay' would be alright, Y/N, it really would -"

"Shut up," Y/N interrupted. She grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him on his feet. "Yes you idiot. A hundred times yes."

Niall grinned and lifted her up, swinging her around. "The box is empty," he whispered in her ear. He set her down gently and kissed her confused face. They held hands as they walked back to the car. "It's at home, hidden in the center of a teddy bear and - don't look at me like that. Zayn and Liam were helping me out with a proposal and I know it isn't much right now and -"

He was cut off by the touch of her lips against his.