70. The elevator gets stuck

You smile politely at the man who held the elevator door open for you. The man was wearing a suit that fits perfectly well and his shoes are polished impeccably, and that immediately makes you like him.

You ride in the elevator in a comfortable silence, despite the fact that elevator rides are usually super awkward.

Too preoccupied with your own thoughts, you don't notice the way the man is staring in one point, breathing evenly as if trying to focus on something.

Until the elevator freezes.

"Oh god, oh god no no no," the man mutters immediately, his eyes full of panic as he stares at the point between the 4th and 5th floor on the display, where the elevator stopped.

"I'll call security," You offer, trying to reassure him. It's not the first time you have been stuck in an elevator, but it seems like a first for this guy.

"I never ride in elevators for exactly this reason," the man continues, untying his tie as if he's suffocating.

"Hey, calm down," in a spur of a moment you put a hand on his shoulder, and that seems to be the right thing to do, as the man sighs and relaxes under the touch, trying to breathe more evenly.

"What's your name?" You ask trying to distract him, while simultaneously pushing the button of security alarm.

"Niall Horan," Niall replies, his voice still shaky.

"I'm Y/N," you provide. Your hand is on Niall's shoulder, and that might seem awkward for a person you just met. You try to put it away, but Niall grips it tight, keeping it in place. His hold is strong and he looks at you with pleading eyes.

"I'm claustrop-phobic," he stutters, a mix of shame and fear in his eyes.
That mix of emotions is not new for you, and you immediately feel a connection with Niall, something strong and indescribable. You don't want him to feel so lost and scared, even though it's an irrational fear.

"Don't worry, shh," You murmur, and wonder why it feels so easy to him to talk to Niall, a person you literally just met. "I've been stuck in elevators before, and everything was alright. I'm still here."

"You're still stuck," Niall jokes, but his tone of voice borders with hysteria.

"Well, true, but we're gonna get out of here together, okay?" You say with determination, trying to keep eye-contact with Niall.

"Oh god oh god no, we're gonna suffocate," a wave of panic attacks Niall again, and his hands visibly shake as he looks around the elevator, as if realizing all over again that this place is nothing but a metal box with no escape.

"Hey, no! Niall, close your eyes. Close your eyes now," You say, taking a hold of Niall, hugging him tight, "Imagine you're by the sea."

Hugging Niall doesn't seem unnatural, and the way Niall clings on you, pressing himself tightly and digging his nails in your back, muscles still tense but breathing steadying, gives you hope.

"The sea is vast, the beach stretches for long miles ahead," you murmur reassuringly, right in Niall's ear. "You're walking with someone you love. There's no one else, just the calm ocean and a few seagulls screeching in the distance. Just the soft breeze of the wind in your hair."

Niall seems to relax in your arms, trembling just slightly. "How do you feel?"

"Safe. Free," Niall says, huffing out some air against your neck.

Suddenly, the elevator comes to life, and moves, stopping on the 6th floor and finally opens its doors. They both spring outside, and Niall takes deep breaths of air, eyes wide and skin turning a deep shade of red.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry you had to witness that," he says, letting go of you and looking very embarrassed.

"It's okay, I understand. I'm afraid of lightning." You say with small smile, hoping Niall wouldn't mind that much. It was nice helping him, because you know what it's like to have a panic attack. It was nice holding him too, even if it was for a completely different reason.

"You helped me so much back there, I don't know what I would've done if it wasn't for you," Niall is still catching his breath.

"I'm glad I did," you say simply.

"But I feel like an idiot now," Niall averts his eyes and straightens his suit. "I wish we'd met under different circumstances."

"You do?" Your breath hitches.

"Yeah, then maybe I'd trick you into thinking that I'm this fearless dapper man who is actually cool," Niall jokes, and you're glad that he's flirting now.

"I don't know, I think that Niall is way nicer," you smile.

"Well, thank you. I'll tell that Niall that he owes you dinner."

"I'm free tomorrow." You blush and take out your card to give to Niall. "Maybe that Niall should call me."
You've never been so shameless before, but the way Niall grins while taking his card is so worth it.