23. He helps you sleep at night

I woke up from my sleep, panting and sweating. It was nothing new - I would always get nightmares. It was just annoying because lately it seemed that they happened more and more.

I rubbed my eyes, noticing the tears come out. I hated sleeping - it wasn't right to be so afraid of sleep.

When thirty minutes passed and I couldn't go back to sleep, I rolled off my bed and trudged down the hall. I hated doing this but he did always offer.

I knocked at my roommate's door hesitantly. Thankfully, he wasn't asleep.

His door opened and he smiled at me sadly. "I heard you screaming... I was about to check on you." His sleepy voice was slightly attractive.

"I'm sorry I bother you -" I started, only to be shushed by him pulling me in his arms, his muscles flexing involuntary as he put his arms around me.

"None of that, Y/N. I'm happy to be a friend." He led me to his bed and put his body pillow in the center of the bed, something I did every night when I slept with him.

We never cuddled. Just having him near me gave me a good night's sleep. We did have boundaries and Niall always respected that.

I was so grateful for him.

We settled in our usual spots and stayed laying down, staring at the ceiling. "Are you sleepy?"

Niall chuckled. "I'll sleep when I know you're asleep."

I smiled and turned over, hoping sleep would overtake me.

/

I couldn't sleep. Two hours passed by and Niall was already asleep, probably unwillingly. During that time I looked over and studied Niall.

His broad chest rose gently with every breath and his blonde hair was perfectly messy. His face relaxed me - it always had.

I wanted to get closer to him, I really did. I was just so tired. Carefully I lifted the body pillow off of the bed and onto the foot. As slowly and gently as I could, I scooted closer to Niall and lifted his arm as best as I could without waking him up.

Thank God he was a heavy sleeper. It took a lot of tries but I finally got his arm around me.

In seconds, his arm tightened and he pulled me closer by the waist. I felt his chin rest on my head. "Night, Y/N," he mumbled before going back to sleep.

I chuckled. "You were awake all this time, huh?"

"Shh."