38. He rescues your cat

For the millionth time Niall checks the picture of the missing cat ad and compares it with the kitten he is holding in his hands. Completely coal-black, with a tiny splash of white on his chest. Meowing uncontrollably and trying to escape. Most importantly, white collar with the same name as in the ad.

"Shh, Lupone, we're gonna get you home," he says as the kitten claws at his shirt.

He rings the bell, and waits.

The kitten continues to incessantly meow, for food or attention Niall may never know, and then the door finally opens.

Niall is not prepared for the sight: a beautiful woman in a summer dress, her hair perfectly curled in a ponytail. Niall immediately gets lost for words, but thankfully he doesn't need to talk.

"Oh my god!" the woman exclaims, and takes the kittens in her hands, "Come in, come in! Louis! Lupone is back."

Niall hesitantly steps inside the apartment, and a tiny brunette appears from behind the partition. Niall can't stop himself from sighing internally. Obviously she was taken.

"Thank you so much!" he exclaims, rushes to take the kitten from the man's hands.

"I'm Y/N by the way," the woman shakes his hand.

"Niall. Nice to meet you"

"Where did you find him? We've been looking for him forever," She asks, and then they proceed to talk about the kitten, as Louis is petting it and Y/N makes everyone tea.

Niall notices how Y/N and Louis' movements around the kitchen - taking out cookies, pouring tea, getting Lupone some milk, are completely in sync, and wonders how long they have been together.

When the kitten is fed and stops meowing, Y/N takes it in her hands, and Niall can't help but grin at the sight of Y/N/s gentle caresses at the kitten's back and the scratches behind it's ears that make it purr.

"It's kind of a strange name for a cat though," Niall says absentmindedly.

"Yeah, well I told Louis it's male, but he wanted to name him Patti Lupone so bad, we just decided to go with it."

"Oh. You mean like the Patti Lupone?" Niall feels silly for not having made the connection. His mom listened to her all the time when he was a child.

"Yeah. She's my idol," Y/N smiles.

"My idol, of course, is Beckham, but I already have a bird named after him, my friend Harry gave it to me on Christmas," Louis chirps in.

Niall immediately has too many questions to this phrase.

And Niall looks at her, unable to mask his hopefulness, and she smiles at him too, while Lupone begins to purr and lick at her fingers.