54. He gets in trouble

"Niall!" Y/N called out, scowling as she searched the downstairs rooms of their house to find her husband.

"Yeah...?" Niall's voice floated down from their bedroom upstairs, a hint of questioning in his voice as to why he was being summoned.

"Can you come downstairs a sec?"

Niall frowned where he was sat at his desk, but dragged himself away from his work and hesitated at the top of the stairs. "What's wrong?" He asked timidly.

"Just... come down here."

Niall hesitantly made his way downstairs, his hand gripping onto the banister like a lifeline.

"Oh... my, god." Niall's jaw dropped at the sight before him; the sofa cushions were scattered about the living room, leaving the sofas bare; toys were all over the carpet, and the vase of flowers Y/N had placed on the coffee table that morning had been knocked over, sending water all over the cream rug. And in the middle of it all stood a very unimpressed Y/N.

"Yeah, 'oh my god' exactly." She snapped back, still scowling as she folded her arms across her chest.

"Mommy, I didn't mean it-" A small voice whispered from the other side of the sofa, and Niall could hear the distress in his son's voice.

"Be quiet, Ryan." Y/N dismissed him with a wave of her hand, still glaring at Niall who was now timidly making his way into the room. "Niall," Y/N started, raising an eyebrow at her husband. "Would you mind telling me why I have come home from work to find my house in such a state?"

"Erm..." Niall averted his gaze to the floor, cheeks burning. "I... I gave Ryan some chocolate today.... After lunch."

"And exactly how much chocolate did you give him?"

"Well, I only gave him two squares, but I've got a feeling he may have gone back and helped himself to more..."

"Ryan," Y/N turned her stare back to her son. "Is this true? Did you help yourself to more chocolate?"

Ryan stared up at his mother with wide eyes, his bottom lip beginning to tremble before he nodded softly.

Then he burst into tears.

Y/N rolled her eyes and bent down, pulling her son into a hug and shushing him softly. "Ok, ok, there's no need to cry. I was just asking, okay?" She pulled back and looked her son in the face, her expression now softer as she tried to comfort him. Ryan sniffed and nodded, wiping his eyes roughly with the back of his sleeve. "Why don't you start tidying up and Daddy and I will come and help you in a little while, okay?"

"Okay," He wrapped his arms around her neck and tugged her tightly, mumbling "I'm sorry, Mommy" before pulling away and scampering off to collect the sofa cushions.

"Niall; a word?" Y/N gestured to the kitchen and Niall followed her reluctantly. Y/N waited until they were both in the kitchen before speaking. "Next time, make sure the chocolate is out of his reach, okay?"

Niall nodded slowly much like his son had done in the living room a few minutes before, hanging his head and waiting for the rest of his telling off. But it didn't come; instead, Y/N turned on her heel and headed towards the kitchen door.

"Wait, that's it?" Niall called after her a little shocked. "That's all you're gonna say about this?"

Y/N turned back and smirked at her husband. "For now."

-