seventy-eight: a little off

They were all exhausted by the time they reached Anne's house. Noah hadn't been very happy about being stuck in his car seat, practically wailing at the top of his lungs the entire drive. Niall was trying his best to focus on the road while sneaking glances into the back where Harry was trying his hardest to calm the crying baby. They pulled over at practically every truck stop to check on Noah, to see if it was his diaper or if he needed a bottle, but nothing was working and Harry could feel the small sense of uselessness inside of him getting a little bit bigger. He puts on a brave face as they climb out of the car, waving at his mother who was standing on the front porch despite the fact that it was mid-November now. 

"You go say hi to your mum, I'll get him." Niall says once he parks the car, turning to look at Harry who shakes his head. 

"I've got him, I'm sure he'll calm down as soon as we get him in there for a nap." Harry says, already unbuckling the baby from his seat. Niall lets out a sigh before climbing out of the car to help Harry, only to have Harry wave him off as he wanted to do it himself. 

So Niall gets the bags from the back, carrying them to the front porch and giving Anne a quick hug as Harry continues to struggle getting Noah out of the car. The baby was squirmy, not wanting to be held which was new to Harry because Noah always loved being close to him. 

"Is he doing alright?" Anne asks, also noticing her son struggling. 

"He won't let me help him." Niall says as if that helped answer the question. Harry lets out a triumphant sound once he successfully gets a hold of Noah, along with his diaper bag and the blanket they'd brought in case he got cold on the drive. Noah was still wailing and Harry looked beyond flustered but he keeps a smile as he walks up to his mother and Niall. 

"Hi, Mum." He says, going to hug her but he doesn't due to the fact that it took holding Noah with both arms.

"Hello, sweetheart. Looks like someone isn't a happy camper." Anne says, earning a nod from her son who gets ready to protest when she starts to take Noah into her arms. Harry's mouth practically drops open when Noah stops crying the second Anne is holding him, that feeling of uselessness once again creeping in. 

"So how was the drive?" Anne asks as they start to walk inside the house, Harry looking down at his shoes because dammit he felt like crying. He had tried everything to calm down his baby and it took just his mother holding Noah for a few seconds for him to stop crying... He didn't get it. 

What did he do wrong? 

"It was long, little guy was not happy today. I think he senses that we're leaving him for a week." Niall says, laughing a little but Harry didn't find it funny. 

He had this sudden feeling that he didn't want to go now, that leaving Noah was going to be a bad thing. 

"Oh I doubt that's the case, he's probably just in need of a nap." Anne says, earning nods from both Harry and Niall. 

"I'll go put him down in my old room..." Harry says quietly, reaching out for his son but Anne shakes her head. 

"Don't worry about it, Harry. I got the little one, you and Niall relax for a few. It was a long drive and you both exhausted. Make yourself a cup of tea or something and once I get back we can start planning your wedding." Anne says, giving no room for argument as she walks away. Harry lets out a sigh, shaking his head a little as Niall lets out another laugh. 

"Something tells me Noah's gonna be spoiled while we're gone." Niall says once Anne is out of sight, earning a tight smile from Harry because he was still caught up on the fact Anne calmed Noah down without doing anything. 

"Yeah..." Harry says, looking down at his shoes. 

"You alright?" Niall asks, taking notice of his husband's change of mood. Harry nods his head, still refusing to look at Niall which of course just makes Niall press the issue even further. 

"What's going on?" Niall asks, taking a step towards Harry so that he's close enough to touch him. Niall places his hands on Harry's waist, his thumbs rubbing into the skin of Harry's hips. Harry's biting on his bottom lip, something he always did when he had stuff on his mind.

"Do... You don't think I'm a bad parent, right?" Harry asks, unable to bring himself to lie to Niall about things anymore.

"Course not, what's making you think that?" 

"It's just... I tried everything, Niall. I tried everything for two and a half hours and nothing worked... and then my mum, she just... She just takes him, and he's fine. I don't... I don't know what I did wrong." Harry whispers, blinking back tears as he starts to feel overwhelmed. 

"You didn't do anything wrong, H. He wouldn't even calm down for me, he's just grumpy is all... He'll be back to being our little angel after a nap. Don't beat yourself up over this, Dollface." Niall says and Harry can tell he's trying to be reassuring but... Harry still felt like shit. 

But he smiles his best fake smile, which Niall seems to buy. 

"Okay." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

to begin, i'm sorry it's been two weeks. i don't have a good enough excuse besides the fact that i simply forgot it had been two weeks since i updated and then i couldn't figure out what kind of chapter i wanted and yeahhhh. 

i can't promise it won't happen again because i'm gonna be hella busy this next week and then i'm getting a puppy on the 12th which is gonna be a handful cause i'm training him myself lol. 

BUT I'M GONNA DO WHAT I DO, AND I WILL FUCKING FINISH THIS BOOK and the sequel/spin off cause fuck, i still have that.... 

AND I'M DUMB AND POSTED ANOTHER FUCKING STORY BUT HEY, YOU GUYS LIKE TOP NIALL AND IT'S A TOP NIALL SO WHY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT IT?!?!?!?!

it's called Heavy, this is the description: 

"Why does it always have to be you? Why can't you just for once let someone else save the world? Don't you see what it's doing to you, how badly all of this is dragging you down? You've got the weight of the world on your shoulders and you're acting like its nothing when we both know for a fact it's nearly crushing you. You can't keep doing this, Niall... It's going to break you."

or the one where Niall is some kind of super hero and Harry's his best friend

and this is the cover that fab friend made me cause she fab: 

annnnnnnnnnnnd now i'm done bothering you, so here's the dedication: Brinunez

comment

and

vote

connie xx 

lol, i lied, thanks for 8k on this story. i love you all so much it's ridiculous.