forty-eight: a little dinner party

Friday didn't take long to arrive, the days passing by in a blur of baby bottles and dirty diapers. Caring for Noah was all Niall and Harry did, not that they were complaining. Harry was more than happy to do anything for the baby who was now a week old. Harry was sitting in the living room with Noah on his lap as Niall is making dinner in the kitchen. Niall was singing softly as he cooks, something that Harry always loved about Niall. Harry could listen to Niall sing all day, his voice having a calming effect on him.

"Babe, can you get the door?" Niall shouts out and it was only then that Harry registered that the door bell had rang.

"I'm kinda feeding Noah right now." Harry shouts back, smiling a little as Niall's laugh echoes from the kitchen. Niall comes into view after a few more seconds pass, the older of the two swooping down to give a kiss to the baby's forehead before heading towards the front door. He answers it to reveal both Zayn and Liam, Liam holding a bottle of wine while Zayn is holding a plush elephant.

"Welcome, I see you brought the wine." Niall says, earning a smile from Liam as they walk into the house.

"It's been ages since we've all had a drink together, figured it was fitting." Liam says, but Niall knew neither Harry or him would be drinking tonight. Zayn is already at the couch, sitting down next to Harry and cooing down at Noah who is staring blankly up at him.

"I got this for him, saw it at this store and instantly thought of him." Zayn says, showing Harry the plush elephant.

"Hopefully he doesn't decide penguins are his favorite animal... All of his stuff have elephants on them." Harry says, laughing a little before smiling down at the baby who appeared to be done with the bottle.

"You wanna hold him?" Harry offers as he notices Zayn was still staring at the baby.

"Oh... um... I might drop him and I don't... I dont wanna risk that." Zayn says, shaking his head only to have Harry roll his eyes.

"You won't drop him, Zayn. You've got younger sisters, you know how to hold a baby."

"But he's so tiny compared to them." Zayn whispers and Harry can't help but chuckle at that.

"You won't break him, Z. Now hold out your arms, I think it's time you held him." Harry says, not really giving Zayn much choice now. Zayn does as Harry says, letting him put the now sleeping baby into Zayn's arms.

"See, you're a natural. You should have a baby." Harry says, half teasing as he stands up from the couch. He winced a little as he stretches, his stitches still a bit sore but they weren't as bad.

"Ha ha, very funny." Zayn says, looking up from Noah when the doorbell rings again. Harry tries not to laugh when Louis is the one to walk in, Myles not too far behind him. 

"Don't you even start." Zayn says, noticing the look on Harry's face which just makes Harry laugh now. Louis walks over to the two of them, holding out a plastic bag with tissue paper in it. 

"For my godson. I saw it in the store and I just knew he'd love it." Louis says and Harry takes the bag from Louis. Harry just about bursts into hysterics when he pulls out the elephant onesie that Louis had bought. 

"I really do hope this kid loves elephants..." Harry says, shaking his head a little before putting the outfit back into the plastic bag. He gives Louis a hug though, muttering a quiet thanks. Harry is looking over at Niall now who's talking to Myles, biting down on his bottom lip because he knew what their conversation was about. 

"So how's home life going?" Louis asks, earning a hum from Harry because he wasn't really listening. He was keeping his gaze on Niall, trying to figure out what exactly he was saying. 

"How's the wedding planning going, H?" Zayn asks when Harry doesn't say anything to Louis. Harry looks away from Niall and stares at Zayn, blinking a little bit as he tries to figure out what exactly the answer to that question was. 

"Oh... I'm not... I'm not even sure there's still gonna be a wedding, if I'm being completely honest." Harry says quietly, slowly sinking back down onto the couch next to Zayn. Zayn hands Noah back over to Harry, a confused expression on his face as he stares at his friend.

"I thought you guys were back to normal?" 

"Not really... He apologized for calling me a liar and whatnot but... He still wants his mother in his life, so he clearly still doesn't believe me about what she said to me. He's also telling me he's going back to finish the tour even though we agreed that once Noah was born, we'd both take a break from our jobs. So honestly, I don't know if we're getting married, I don't know if that's something I want right now." Harry says honestly, biting down on his bottom lip as he refuses to look at anyone but Noah. 

"Have you talked to him about this?" Louis asks, earning a shrug from Harry. 

"Yes and no... It's been hard, all of our attention is focused on this little guy, not that I'm complaining, but we really haven't had the time to sit down and talk things out. I'm sure we'll get around to it, but right now it's all about Noah." Harry whispers, once again adjusting the baby beanie on Noah's head. 

"It's all about our little Noah." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and there's the drama coming back into play in less than a chapter.

you're welcome

might do a double, might not

we're gonna see.

dedication goes to payneinmyzayn

comment

and

vote

connie xx