forty-six: the baby bassinet

"Is he finally down?" Niall asks later that night, walking into Noah's nursery as Harry looks up from Noah as they both sit in the rocking chair. 

"Yes, but I don't think I can put him down. He doesn't like his crib... I think he gets lonely in there." Harry whispers, earning a soft chuckle from Niall who moves closer to the pair. 

"Well we do have that bassinet your mum bought us... We could set that up in our room so he can sleep in there with us, that way when he wakes up we don't have to come all the way down here to get him." Niall suggests and Harry nods a little before standing up from the chair. His shoulders sag in relief when the baby doesn't wake up and he smiles softly at Niall. 

"Let's try that. Do you think you could watch him while I shower?" Harry asks as they walk towards their bedroom. 

"Course. Let me just set up the bassinet." Niall says, earning another nod from Harry who follows Niall into their bedroom. Harry climbs up onto their bed with a little difficulty, being extra careful not to jostle the sleeping baby while Niall goes in search for the bassinet. Niall pokes his head out of the closet, a very confused expression on his face as he does so. 

"Do you know where we put that thing anyways? I thought it was in our closet..." Niall says, earning a shrug from Harry. 

"Is it in the spare bedroom maybe? That's where most of the baby stuff went before we set up the nursery." 

"Maybe. I'll be right back." Niall says, leaving the room and Harry lets out a sigh. A sudden wave of sadness passes over him as he looks down at Noah, Doctor Winters words floating around in his head again. He hadn't talked to Niall about what she had said, he wasn't sure if he could. It felt like they were walking on thin ice as it was, not that Harry felt like this would break the said ice. 

It just wasn't something Harry wanted to talk about, talking about it would make it real and Harry really didn't want it to be real.

"I found it, for some reason it was in your office." Niall says, walking in with the box with a proud smile on his face. Harry looks up from Noah at the sound of Niall's voice, giving Niall a small smile of his own even though it felt a little forced. 

"I guess that makes sense, that's where I put the changing table and half of his toys I think." Harry says, earning a nod from Niall who places the box down on the floor. 

"So my mum called this morning, wants to know when we're heading down to Ireland to visit." Niall says as if it was the most common topic of conversation for them. 

"Why?" 

"She wants to meet Noah." 

"That's weird considering she doesn't even think he's yours." Harry says and maybe his voice is a bit bitter but he doesn't dare look at Niall as he speaks. 

"Harry, you promised you'd try to be civil." Niall says and Harry tries not to get annoyed with the way Niall is speaking to him. 

"I can only be civil if she does the same to me, Niall. The first conversation I ever had with that woman, she accused me of cheating on you and lying to you in a matter of seconds. So excuse me for not exactly looking forward to flying all the way to Ireland with a newborn." 

"I'm not saying we go right now, it would be a few months. The tour still has a month left, so we'll go after that." Niall says and Harry quirks an eyebrow at that. 

"You're going back?" Harry asks, more than a little surprised. 

"Well yeah, it's a whole month we'd be refunding." 

"I thought you were done, you know since Noah is here..." Harry says, biting down on his bottom lip as he stares at Niall who only shrugs at what Harry says. 

"I told you we were done October 18th, H. I can't just abandon the last month of the tour because the baby came early, it's not responsible of me and it's not fair to the rest of my band or my fans." Niall says and Harry can't help but scoff a little. 

"What?" Niall asks, earning a shrug from Harry. 

"Doesn't matter." Harry says, but the look on his face says otherwise. Niall stops setting up the bassinet to stand up and walks over to where Harry was sitting on the bed. 

"H, it's my job." 

"I know, Niall. I just... You're gonna leave me alone with a newborn for a month." Harry says, adjust the beanie on Noah's head a little so he didn't have to look at Niall right now. 

"If I could, you know I'd be here. There's no place I would rather be than with you and Noah, H." 

"Can you... Can you at least talk to Myles and see if you can stay here instead? I really don't want to be here on my own, Niall. We're supposed to be doing all of this together." Harry whispers, bringing himself to look at Niall. Niall gives him a soft smile, kissing Harry's temple before nodding. 

"I'll talk to Myles tomorrow, or on Friday when everyone comes over for dinner. Until then, the bassinet is ready." Niall says, holding his arms out for Noah and Harry gladly hands him over but not before he kissing the top of the baby's little head. 

"Enjoy your shower." Niall says as Harry walks towards the bathroom. 

"It'd be better if you'd join." Harry says, more out of habit than anything. 

"I don't think it's wise for us to get started on baby number two just yet." Niall says, completely teasing and he misses the saddened look on Harry's face as he walks towards the bathroom. 

--------------------------------------------------

I meant to publish this last night but I fell asleep cause I felt like shit tbh haha.

And now I'm uploading the chapter through my.phone cause I slept in and I have to hurry before I'm late for a doctor appointment. Lol. I suck.

Just love me.

Comment

And

Vote

Connie xx