twenty-one: a compromise

Niall ends up spending the next few nights in Louis' room, leaving Harry by himself in what was supposed to be their shared room. Harry would only see Niall at the venue where the band played, but even then Niall wouldn't say anything to him... not that Harry was really making a move to say anything to Niall either.

It had been about a week since their fight, Harry was sitting in a chair at the foot of the stage as he takes the occasional picture of the band's sound check. Niall had purposely switched places with Rickie, the other guitar player, to be on the opposite side of the stage away from Harry. Harry tries not to take it personally, he knew he'd upset Niall and Niall had upset him.

They just needed a little time apart and Harry knew they'd fix it all. But that didn't stop him from feeling worried, mainly because their fights never lasted this long. Normally it was only a day or two, but Harry was waiting for Niall to make the first move.

Which clearly wasn't happening.

"Jesus, H. You're talented." Myles, the band's tour manager, says as he sits next to Harry. Harry was actually pretty good friends with Myles, they'd gone to school together and he quite enjoyed the other boys company.

"Thanks, Myles." Harry says, forcing a smile as he glances towards Niall who wasn't even looking over at him.

"You know, there's an opening for the band photographer if you're interested." Myles offers and Harry lets out a laugh before shaking his head. This wasn't the first time Myles had given him this offer and Harry was pretty sure it wouldn't be the last.

"I don't think so."

"Why not? It pays better than that magazine you work for, it's a way more entertaining job, you'll get to be with your boyfriend all the time, so what's the problem?" Myles asks and Harry bites down on his lip.

"I'm pregnant, Myles. I don't... I don't think a tour bus is the place to raise a baby. Besides... I like my job." Harry says, his voice going quiet and Myles almost didn't hear him over the music.

"By the time we're on tour again, the kiddo will be nearly a year old. And you keep saying you like your job, but I never hear you say you love it."

"Does anyone love their job?" Harry asks, quirking an eyebrow as Myles lets out a loud laugh.

"I do, so does Niall... but he loves you more. He came to me the other day asking if we could shorten the tour, believe it or not. Then he said that he was thinking of taking the next year off to help you with the baby, which I agreed to because these boys and myself deserve a break. So there, kiddo will be a year old, so let the kid live on the road for a while and be our photographer. I know you want to and I think it's the least you can do if Niall takes off a year for you... It's all about compromise. " Myles says, maybe meaning to be nonchalant but the look he was giving Harry told him otherwise. 

"You know, if you weren't my friend I would tell you to mind your own goddamn business." Harry says, folding his arms across his chest but he couldn't exactly be mad at Myles because he couldn't help but think he was right. The band seemed to have finished their soundcheck, Louis walking over and plopping down next to them as Niall seems to walk off in the other direction. Harry looks over him longingly, considering going after him but he wasn't sure how well that was going to be received right now. 

"Can I see the shots?" Louis asks, grabbing a water bottle with one hand and holding out the other for Harry's camera. Harry obliges, biting down on his bottom lip before standing up. 

"Just put the camera back in my bag when you're done... I gotta go talk to Niall." Harry says quietly, heading towards the direction Niall had gone. It doesn't take Harry long to find him, the older boy hanging out by the car outside. Harry joins him, leaning against the car as Niall simply just lets out a sigh. Harry wasn't sure what he was going to say, if he was being honest... He had hoped the words would just come to him, but yet here he was finding himself speechless. Instead of saying what's on his mind, he decides to talk about the baby.

"So... You know how you were saying that if we have a boy you get to name him and if we have a girl I would? How about, if we have a boy.. he gets your last name and if we have a girl, she gets mine." Harry offers and Niall lets out a scoff before shaking his head but Harry swears he sees a smile. 

"That's just ridiculous because if have more than one they'll have different last names." Niall says and Harry tries to ignore how his heart skips a beat at the mention of having more kids with Niall. 

"Hey, I was just trying to compromise here." Harry says, shrugging a little before he finds himself laying his head on Niall's shoulder and it wasn't long before Niall was resting his head on top of Harry's. It was the most physical contact Harry and Niall had shared this entire week and Harry realizes just how badly he missed it. 

"I think I'm gonna quit my job." Harry finds himself whispering and Niall lifts his head up so he can look at Harry in complete shock.

"What?" 

"I haven't actually decided yet... but Myles told me that you're taking a break from the band to help with the baby... and then he offered me a job as the photographer for the band... and I wanna... I wanna compromise, I want us to both be on the same page, you know? So maybe after the year is up, Baby Styles and I will join you on tour... and I'll be able to do what I love with the people I love." Harry says and Niall really is smiling from ear to ear now. He surprises Harry a little by pulling him in for a kiss, but Harry wasn't complaining. 

"Does this mean you're gonna sleep in our room tonight?" Harry asks once Niall pulls away, wrapping his arms around the older boys neck. 

"Yeah, I'm getting really sick of Louis. Remind me again why I'm claiming his offspring as my own?" Niall asks, a teasing tone to his voice that Harry honestly didn't even realize he'd missed.

"Because you love me." 

"That I do." 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and that's how you resolve narry conflict in less than two chapters...

damn

that wasn't how i expected it to go... oh well. 

probably gonna be a slight time jump next chapter, probably just a few weeks... haven't decided. 

dedication goes to Narry_Camren

comment

and

vote

connie xx