nineteen: back in time

Harry walks the streets of New York for what felt like hours, keeping his hands in the pockets of his jacket and kicking his shoes as he tries to calm down his racing thoughts. His phone kept going off, Niall's ring tone driving him crazy right about now. Harry understood that Niall was probably worried, mainly because Harry had just walked out the door. 

But Harry wanted to be alone right now because he didn't want Niall to see how badly he was panicking. Harry had enjoyed their blissful morning, but when Louis had come in to whisk Niall away for his interview it reminded Harry just how little Niall was going to be there.  

Niall's schedule was unpredictable, he'd have months off and then be gone for a year. There was no saying how often or how long Niall would be home to help with the baby... and Harry really didn't want their baby growing up without Niall there. 

Yet that seemed to be Harry's reality though, he couldn't ask Niall to quit his job just like Niall couldn't ask Harry to quit his. They just had to figure a way to work it all out.. but Harry felt like he'd gone back in time, rewinding the clock to January of 2015 when Harry had last been in New York with Niall and his band, when they'd only been dating for eight months and Harry wasn't sure if this was what he wanted. 

Harry walks into the bar Niall had texted him about roughly an hour before midnight. The bar was crowded and Harry seriously contemplates just leaving and telling Niall he was feeling a bit under the weather. Truth was, Harry didn't want to be here. If he'd of had his way, Niall would've come back home to London for New Years and Harry would be enjoying a quiet evening with Niall in his apartment instead of this noisy bar that already smelled strongly of urine and booze. 

But he was here for Niall, he'd promised Niall he'd come and that was what he was going to do. He was going to show Niall that he could compromise, that he could be in this relationship despite all the hardships.... even if Harry wasn't sure he wanted to be in this relationship. It had been two months since Harry had last seen Niall in person, two months filled with texts, long night phone calls and the occasional Skype call. Harry was only going to be here for a few days and Niall wasn't due back in London for another three months after that. 

The distance was killing him, but Niall didn't seem at all bothered about it. 

So that's how Harry found himself worming through the crowded bar, looking for his Irish boyfriend but he didn't appear to be anywhere in sight. Harry lets out  sigh, ready to just give up and leave but then he sees Louis standing over by the bar. Harry eventually makes it to Louis, giving him a small smile. 

"Hey Lou, where's Ni at?" Harry asks, earning a shrug from Louis who looks way past sober. 

"The Irish was just here, I sw-" Louis is cut off half way by a belch and he grins from ear to ear in pride of the sound. Louis signals for another drink but Harry shakes his head before shooting a look towards the bartender. 

"I think you've had enough to drink, mate." Harry says quietly, earning a whine from Louis but he nods his head in agreement anyways. 

"Did Zayn come? Did you bring my Zaynie? I miss my Zaynie." Louis pouts and Harry feels bad for the older lad. Zayn had just broken up with Louis a few days ago... Louis wasn't handling it very well and neither was Zayn. 

"Sorry, Lou... He's in London." Harry says, placing a soft pat on Louis' back before he caught sight of Niall who was walking back from the bathroom. Niall doesn't seem to see him though, getting distracted by a group of girls who were holding out pens and paper. Harry lets out a sigh before signalling for the bartender to bring him a drink. 

"Jealous, are we?" Louis asks, taking in Harry's sudden change of mood. 

"I'm not jealous, just... annoyed, I guess. Don't worry about it, Lou." Harry says, but Louis doesn't let it go. 

"There's nothing to be jealous about, H. He's got eyes for you and only you." 

"If that were the case, he'd be over here talking to me instead of that blonde bimbo sticking out her tits." Harry grumbles and Louis lets out a laugh that seems to echo through the bar. 

"He's not even noticing her tits, H. He's just signing autographs, it's what happens when you're in a very popular band." 

"You're annoying when you're drunk." 

"Shut up, your mum is annoying when I'm drunk." 

"Whatever, Lou. If Niall ever comes over here, just tell him I'll meet him at the hotel room. I don't feel like being here." Harry finally just says, taking a deep breath before weaving through the crowd again. Harry feels like he can finally breathe by the time he's outside, shivering as the brisk January cold hits him like a ton of bricks. Harry trudges down the sidewalk with a heavy heart, trying to fight back tears because he just didn't know what to do. He didn't want to break up with Niall, he didn't want to do what Zayn had done... but in a way he understood it. 

Distance was hard and Harry wasn't sure he could do it anymore. 

"H, wait up!" Someone yells and Harry turns around to see that it's Niall chasing him down the sidewalk, almost out of breath when he reaches Harry. 

"Why are you out here?" Niall asks as soon as he catches up with Harry, trying to catch his breath.

"You were preoccupied, I didn't feel like being in a bar, so I came out here and figured I'd go for a walk." Harry says, maybe with a little attitude but he just... he just really wished things were easier. 

"Sorry, I was on my way over to you but some girls wanted autographs and when I looked back you'd left." 

"I didn't want to be in there." 

"You said that... so what's going on?" Niall asks, standing up straighter as Harry takes a deep breath before looking up. 

"I don't think I can do this, Niall. Not anymore." Harry whispers. 

"What do you mean by that?" Niall asks and Harry looks back down and at Niall. There's tears falling out of his eyes and Harry feels like he can't breathe because he didn't want to do this. 

"I can't do this, anymore. I can't do the distance, I can't do the constant worry, I can't do this. I love you so much that it's literally killing me to do this, but I don't think we can be together anym-" Harry whispers, his words coming out frantically before he bursts into sobs. Next thing he knows, Niall is pulling him into his arms and letting Harry bury his face into his shoulder. 

"We're gonna make it work, Harry. I know it's hard and I'm sorry that I just sprung this all on you... but I refuse to let all of this fall to shit because of distance. You're the one for me, H. I love you and I swear on everything that we're gonna make this work." Niall whispers, holding Harry close. 

"You swear?" Harry whispers after he finally calms down, pulling away from Niall and looking at him with a hopeful expression. 

"I swear." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

idk about this chapter... it went in a direction I was not planning, but oh well. 

can't complain.

dedication goes to NazzaStylan

comment

and

vote

connie xx