seventy-five: a little bit of effort

"Did he go down alright?" Niall asks later that night as Harry walks into their bedroom after putting Noah down for the night. Harry lets out a sigh before he nods, walking into the bathroom to brush his teeth and get ready for bed himself. Niall sits on the bed, watching as his husband does these things, thoughts racing through his head as he tries to figure out what to say. The house had been hostile all evening, Maura and Harry practically at each other's throats even when Zayn had stopped by to drop the baby off... Niall had hoped that having Noah there would diffuse some of the tension, but Harry seemed to be even more hostile with the baby around. 

Niall wanted to say something... he felt like he should say something... but the last time he had touched the subject of Harry's relationship with Maura, it hadn't ended well for him. He thought he might actually lose Harry, hell he almost did... 

So he was nervous to say the least, biting down on his bottom lip as he watches Harry brush out his hair and wondering how well this conversation was going to go. He didn't want to spend their supposed honeymoon in a fight, but Niall knew that was exactly where this was going to go. It wasn't something he could just ignore, something he could just pretend wasn't a problem. 

Harry seems to think it is though, turning off the light to the bathroom and walking over to the bed. He climbs onto his side, pulling the covers over the top of himself before turning off the lamp on his side. 

"Harry..." 

"I'm tired, Niall. Go to bed." Harry mumbles, but it wasn't the truth. Harry was also trying to avoid the inevitable fight they would have, thinking that if he could just go to sleep Niall would forget all about it till morning and they could get on their plane without a care in the world... but he too knew better. Niall wasn't one to just forget, let alone let something go. 

"H, we need to talk..." 

"In the morning." 

"No, Harry. We need to talk now." Niall says, his voice firm because dammit he was so sick of Harry avoiding all of his problems. Harry lets out a sigh before turning on his light again, sitting up in the bed and looking at Niall. 

"Fine. Talk." Harry says and he's trying not to sound annoyed but he didn't get why Niall couldn't just let things go every once in a while. 

"Why do you hate my mother?" Niall asks and Harry can't help the scoff as he shakes his head. 

"I've already told you why, I've told you several times and you just don't seem to listen or you just don't care. She's using you, Niall... and you're so blind to it." Harry grumbles out, crossing his arms over his chest as he refuses to look at Niall. 

"How? How is she using me, Harry? She hasn't asked for money, she hasn't asked anything of me. You're the only one who seems to think that's the case and I really don't understand how." 

"That's because she told me and it really fucking hurts that you believe her over me." Harry says, throwing off the covers and climbing out of the bed. He wasn't going to be sleeping in their bed tonight, he would rather go sleep in Noah's room. Niall wasn't having that though, grabbing Harry's hand before he gets the chance to walk away. 

"I'm not saying I believe her over you, Harry... I just... I just... I want what you have, I want that support from my family and that love you have... So maybe I am ignorant of it and maybe I don't want to believe you, but I just... I don't think you should be angry at me because of that." Niall says, trying to get Harry to look at him but the younger was still avoiding all possible eye contact. 

"I just don't understand your blind faith in her." 

"She's my mother, Harry. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment..." Niall says quietly and Harry lets out a shaky sigh before running his free hand through his hair. Niall was still holding the other one, playing with the ring that sat on his finger. Harry hadn't gotten the chance to take it off for bed yet and for whatever reason he was finding the action of Niall twirling the ring around somewhat comforting. 

"I love you, H. You and Noah are always going to be my number one priority... but I'm just... I'm asking you to do this for me, to at least try and be civil with my mother so that I can maybe someday have that relationship with her that you have with your mother. Can you at least try?" Niall asks, his voice so quiet that Harry has to look at him now. Harry bites down on his bottom lip for a moment, unsure of his answer because truth be told all he wanted to do was tell Maura to fuck off... but for Niall...

He could do it for Niall.

"Okay... I'll try... Just.. We aren't leaving Noah with her, Niall. I am seriously putting my foot down on th-" Harry starts to ramble, only to be cut off by Niall kissing him softly. 

"Thank you." Niall whispers once he pulls away, resting his forehead against Harry's. Harry lets out a sigh, closing his eyes for a moment as he was still nervous as to where this was all going to go... He felt like it would all backfire, blow up in his face... but if that was the case, then Niall would see his mother for the bitch she truly was... so Harry just had to hope it would all work out in the end. 

"I love you too, for the record..." Harry decides to say instead of voicing his current thoughts, earning a small chuckle from Niall as he pulls Harry back onto the bed. 

"More than Louis?" Niall asks, the familiar teasing tone in his voice. 

"Definitely more than Louis." 

"Good, you fucking better."  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol fuck me up with those narry feels fam. 

I AM SO SORRY THAT THIS TOOK OVER A WEEK. I had every intention of updating on Sunday but then I got really tired and couldn't get this chapter to go the way I needed it to... and then I went camping on Monday and just got back today... so yeah, i apologize for being a lazy fuck sometimes lol.

anyyyyyyyyyyways, i posted a new Ziam book. It's called Daddy Issues, it's a texting AU.... this is the cover

annnnnnnnd this is the description: 

unknown: send nudes?

zayn: seriously who the fuck is this?

or the one where Zayn gets a text from an unknown number and Liam's got daddy issues

I kinda like writing it so it'll probably be updated frequently (nervously pretends like she doesn't have other stories that need updates cause fuck it's been like six months on at least two....) BUT YEAH, you don't have to check it out but if you find yourself bored or something... haha.

dedication goes to xNo_Jimmy_Protestedx

comment

and

vote

connie xx