twenty-two: surprises

The next few weeks, Harry and Niall were blissfully happy but Harry's time with Niall was starting to come to an end. Harry was choosing not to dwell on it though and was instead focusing on what exactly he was going to get Niall for an anniversary present. Their anniversary was in two days and Harry still had yet to get Niall anything... but Harry was honestly drawing a blank this year and Niall wasn't helping him find anything either. Niall on the other hand seemed to have everything figured out, he was going to be taking Harry to some fancy Italian place for dinner and then he was taking him to the Empire State Building to take in the New York City skyline. 

Harry of course had no idea what Niall was getting him for a gift, but Harry had been dropping hints about what he wanted so it wasn't very fair. 

So that was how Harry found himself calling a doctor and scheduling an appointment for the next day. He was gonna take Niall with him of course, but Harry was planning on finding out their baby's gender while Niall was out of the room. Harry's gift would be the baby's gender, or at least themed as such. 

Maybe it was lame, but Harry didn't have any other ideas. It was an early appointment, the sound of the alarm Harry had set waking both of them up. Niall lets out a groan, rolling over onto his side as Harry slides out of the bed. 

"Where're you going?" Niall slurs out, his eyes still closed as he reaches over to Harry's side of the bed only to find it empty. 

"Gonna shower. I've got a surprise for you." 

"Is it sex?" Niall asks, suddenly very awake and Harry chuckles at that. 

"No, it's not." Harry says and Niall's face literally falls, his bottom lip sticking out as he pouts. 

"Then it's not worth it to be up this early." Niall says, already collapsing back onto the bed face first. 

"Not even if it's to go see Baby Styles?" Harry asks and Niall is once again sitting up in the bed. 

"Isn't your doctor in London?" Niall asks, a very confused expression on his face as Harry lets out a soft chuckle before nodding.

"Yeah she is, but she recommended a few doctors here in New York that I could see while I was staying here to check on the baby. So I called one up and we've got an appointment to go see the baby in about an hour, so I suggest you get up and shower too... or you can sleep for another thirty minutes and go to the appointment smelling like a dead animal." Harry says, totally teasing Niall because Niall didn't smell that bad. He'd taken a shower last night after his show, but Harry kinda wanted Niall to join him. 

"I'll take the extra thirty minutes, have fun in the shower." Niall says, earning a laugh from Harry as he face plants back down into the bed. 

------------

"You should stop bouncing. You're making me nervous." Harry says about an hour later, glaring over at Niall who was squirming all over in his chair. They were waiting for the doctor, who was taking quite some time but Harry wasn't worried. Niall of course was for whatever reason which Harry was going to just blame on the fact it was Niall's first time seeing the baby. 

"Sorry... just excited is all." Niall says, clearing his throat as he rubs his hands together. Harry gets ready to say something but the doctor walks in before he does. 

"Sorry I'm late, was just finishing up with my last patient. I'm Doctor Gregory, I had your doctor fax over your records from the London Hospital so that I could be a bit up to date on your current standings and give you a better appointment." Doctor Gregory says before sitting down next to Harry's cot. 

"So according to your records you're about eighteen weeks?" 

"Yeah, as of yesterday." Harry says, holding out his hand for Niall to take because the Irish boy was still jittery. Niall takes it instantly, linking their fingers together as he bites down on his bottom lip. 

"Alright, if I can just have you lay down for me and hike up your shirt, we'll get a look at that baby." He says, reaching for the wand of the machine as Harry does as he's instructed. Niall's attention is on Harry until the doctor dims down the lights and Niall turns his eyes to the screen. Niall's grip on Harry's hand tightened and Harry finds himself staring at Niall to see his reaction. 

The moment the steady heartbeat of the baby starts to echo through the room, Niall looks like he's about to cry. Niall moves closer to the screen and Harry could tell that Niall was already wrapped around their baby's finger even though he or she hadn't even been born yet. 

"Alright, your baby is growing right on schedule. You should be feeling the baby's movements soon if you haven't already, nothing too major like the kicks, but you should feel tiny movements... I could tell you the gender if you'd like as well, I got a pretty clear view just a moment ago." Doctor Gregory says, laughing when Harry shakes his head and Niall nods eagerly. 

"Now Harry, you're gonna be experiencing a couple more changes now. Your cravings are gonna get a bit more prominent, and you might start experiencing some dizzy spells. They shouldn't be too severe, but if you have concerns then just call your usual doctor or myself if you're still in New York. Now would you like me to print out a sonogram?" He asks and Harry nods before patting Niall's hand. 

"Baby, can you go get my jacket from the car? I'm cold." Harry says, just to get Niall out of the room long enough so that he could talk to Doctor Gregory alone. 

"Sure..." Niall says, a little distracted because he'd just gotten to see their baby... he got to see their baby for the first time and he was on cloud nine. Niall slowly stands up and walks out of the room. Harry looks at the doctor as soon as Niall left. 

"So, about the gender. I'm planning a surprise for my boyfriend and I wanna use our baby's gender to do it... so I don't want him to know, but could you write it down on like a piece of paper for me?" Harry asks and Doctor Gregory nods before doing just as Harry asked. Niall returns after a few moments, meeting Harry at the front the desk. 

"You're the best." Harry says, taking the jacket from Niall and putting it on before linking his fingers with Niall's again.

"I can't believe you didn't want to find out the gender." Niall says, pouting as Harry lets out a soft chuckle. 

"I always thought you liked surprises."

"Not where our baby is concerned. I hope you're ready to deal with all the generic crap we're gonna get at the baby shower you just know that Zayn is planning for you." 

"It'll be worth it if it'll make you suffer." 

"Rude." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ha.

long ass chapters with shitty endings are my specialty. 

GENDER REVEAL NEXT CHAPTER. CAST IN FINAL VOTE NOW EVEN THOUGH I'VE ALREADY PICKED OUT THE GENDER AND THE NAME SINCE LIKE THE FIRST CHAPTER. 

dedication goes to NiallandHarryduhhh

comment

and

vote

connie xx