thirty-six: a party to remember pt.2

By the time Niall makes it back to the house, everything is up and ready to go. A lot of the guests had already shown up, Niall's band mates and Harry's mother included. Harry was still sitting in the kitchen, talking with Louis who was currently raving about how excited he was for the upcoming year break. Harry doesn't even realize that Niall had made it back home until the older boy walks through the crowd, smiling at Harry who finally catches sight of him. 

"Don't you dare get up, Harold." Niall calls across the room when he notices Harry trying to stand up. Niall tries to get there a little faster, but he was dragging his mother behind him. 

"Ni, it's just easier if I meet yo-" Harry tries to say in protest, but Niall interrupts him. 

"You keep your ass on that chair, Styles." Niall says, his voice holding a very serious tone to it and Harry can't bring himself to protest with his fiancee. Once he reaches Harry, Niall kisses him and takes a step back to reveal Maura. 

"Mum, this is Harry. Harry, this is my mum." Niall says, allowing Maura to take a step closer to Harry. She looks to be just as nervous as Harry, shifting on her feet a little before clearing her throat. She doesn't make eye contact with Harry which Harry found odd, but he doesn't say anything. 

"It's nice to finally meet you, Harry. Niall has told me so much about you." She says, holding out her hand for Harry to shake which he does. 

"Likewise." Harry says, risking a glance over at Niall who's grinning from ear to ear. Harry feels like he might just puke, unsure of what to say. He honestly didn't know much about this woman and he was nervous about making the wrong impression. It was then that Harry noticed Maura staring at his bump, her eyes wide. 

"You're... You're quite far along." She says, honestly surprised and Harry still can't help but feel nervous. Niall is still watching his mother, a bright smile on his face as he watches his mother and fiancee interact. It was one of Niall's hopes that they'd get along, that he'd finally get to have his family whole again. 

But Harry couldn't shake this feeling. 

"Yeah... I'm uh... I'm about thirty-four weeks, due in October." Harry whispers, once again looking over at Niall who still has his gaze on his mother. Harry wasn't sure what it was, the nerves of finally meeting Niall's mother or just the way Maura was looking at him... but something just seemed off. 

"Boy or girl?" She asks, tentatively reaching out a hand to touch the bump and Harry tries his hardest not to flinch. Normally he didn't say anything when someone reached out to touch him, but when Maura did Jedi becomes impossibly still for a moment. 

"Boy." Harry answers and Maura jerks her hand back when Jedi kicks. She lets out a shaky breath before looking at Niall.

"Is there anything to drink here? I think  I need a drink." She says and Niall is more than willing to show her where the makeshift bar was. Once she walks away, Harry feels like he can breathe. He looks over at Louis who's gaze was following Maura and Niall. 

"She's a bit... Different." Louis says once they're out of sight, earning a nod from Harry who bite on his bottom lip for a moment before looking over at Louis. 

"She's not very fond of our uh... our lifestyle I guess. This is the most she's talked to and seen Niall in five years, Lou. And like, I'm happy she's here to see him... but she's... I don't know, but there's just something off." Harry says honestly, biting down on his lip as he looks down at his bump. Jedi was very active now, his little feet hitting against the hand Harry had rested against the bump. 

"Yeah, I agree... but let's just allow Niall to have his day. Chances are, she won't be around much anyways." Louis says, earning another nod from Harry. 

"Do you need anything? Something to eat or drink?" Louis asks, changing the subject but Harry was once again looking in the direction that Niall and Maura had disappeared to.

"H?" Louis snaps his fingers in front of Harry's face, causing the younger to jump a little before looking at Louis in confusion. 

"Sorry... just thinking. What'd you need?" Harry asks, earning a soft chuckle from Louis as he ruffles Harry's hair. 

"I was asking if you needed something to eat or drink. Niall seems to be a bit preoccupied, so it looks like I'm on Harry duty today." Louis says, his voice holding a teasing tone to it but Harry frowns at what he says. It wasn't that Harry was jealous of Niall paying attention to his mother instead of him, in fact he was happy that Niall had his mother back, even if it's just for a little while... but Harry couldn't shake the feeling that something was off with Maura and he didn't want to see Niall get hurt. 

"H? Jesus, is this whole Niall's mum being back thing messing with you that much?" Louis asks, once again snapping his fingers in front of Harry's face to get his attention. 

"Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on." Harry says, once again looking over where Niall went but he can't see him anywhere. 

"Well stop it and focus on the party. It's Niall's birthday, H. Smile a little, it looks good on you." 

------------------------------------------------------------

WOW. LOOK AT ME.

TRIPLE UPDATE? 

WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT I COULD BE SO PRODUCTIVE? 

AND WTF, I'M BRINGING SKETCHY DRAMA INTO THIS FLUFFY FIC. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!?!?! WHY AM I STILL IN CAPS?!?!?!

okay. that's done. 

dedication goes to me cause i just updated three times within eight hours. 

comment

and

vote

connie xx