four: fears and doubts

Harry wastes no time in calling Niall after he leaves the hospital, a bright smile on his face that gets even brighter when Niall actually picks up. 

"Hey! Guess what." Harry says excitedly into his phone as he walks towards his car. Niall sounds absolutely exhausted on the other end and Harry felt a little bad for being so loud. 

"Chicken butt." Niall says, earning a laugh from Harry as he shakes his head. Harry climbs into his car, putting the video camera on the seat along with his jacket before turning vehicle on. 

"No, not chicken butt." 

"Damn. I was hoping it was. What is it then? Did you finally quit your job and decide you're gonna come all the way to New York to be with your favorite person?" Niall asks and Harry knows he's only half teasing. If Niall had his way, Harry wouldn't have a job. Niall made enough for both of them, but Harry didn't like sitting around doing nothing. He liked his job, he was happy with his life. 

"Why would I come all the way to New York to be with Louis when I'm dating you?" Harry teases instead, choosing not to let this conversation turn into an argument. 

"You're cute." 

"Thanks, I've heard it's one of my best qualities." Harry says, grinning even though Niall can't see him. Niall lets out a sigh, one that made Harry's smile fall just a little. 

"Everything alright?" Harry asks, letting his car sit in the hospital parking lot as he talks to Niall. 

"Just tired. I don't do well with the jet lag, as you know already.... So yeah, just tired. How'd your appointment go? Everything alright?" Niall asks, changing the subject and Harry's smiling again. 

"Well I bet you're happy to know that Baby Styles is officially a thing. Everything checks out so far, but we're only about six weeks along so we don't know much yet." Harry says, more than happy to talk about the baby. He felt like the next nine months were going to be just Harry talking about the baby. 

"So birthday baby?" 

"How'd you know?" 

"Well it couldn't have been Valentine's, that's too soon. So that left your birthday or that really weird time in the back of the car, the birthday seemed like the more likely option." Niall says and Harry is certain he's smiling now which lifted Harry's mood a bit. 

"You're turning into quite the Sherlock there." 

"With how often you make me watch that show it was only a matter of time." And just like that Niall's bad mood seemed to come back in full force. Harry doesn't take it personally, the jet lag really was most of the problem but usually Niall was at least happy when he talked to Harry... 

"Are you sure everything's alright, Ni?" Harry asks, biting down on his bottom lip as he turns off the car. He didn't think he'd be leaving any time soon, not wanting to talk on the phone as he drove. 

"It's the jet lag." 

"It seems like it's more than the jet lag. You can tell me, Ni." Harry says, keeping his voice steady as he leans back in his seat. Niall lets out another sigh and Harry could practically picture him pulling at his hair. 

"I've just been thinking about our future, is all. We're having a baby and I'm not going to be there for any of it. I know you're going to be taking videos and keeping me updated, but it just... it isn't the same you know? I'm still gonna be touring when you have the baby, I probably won't even be there for that and it's killing me. I know it's too soon to be worrying about this stuff, we've got like eight months to figure this out... I'm just... Overthinking." Niall says after a minute and Harry is still biting down on his bottom lip as he tries to think of a good enough response to that. Niall was right, about everything and Harry hated it just as much as he did. 

"You're not overthinking... I understand where you're coming from and I agree that it sucks, but it's us. We'll figure out how to make it work, we always do. Maybe... Maybe when I take my maternity leave, I'll fly out to the states for the last half of my pregnancy. Or maybe you can talk to the band about maybe taking the last month of the tour off, I'm sure they'll understand if you explain the situation. But like you said, we've got eight months." Harry says and Niall lets out a long sigh before clearing his throat. 

"I'm sorry I'm being a downer, this is supposed to be a happy thing and I am happy that we're having this baby... Just wish I could be there." 

"I wish you could be here too, Ni. But you aren't and we've gotta do what we've gotta do for now. We can figure out more when I come there in about two months." Harry says, hating the fact that he had to say this but it was the truth. 

"Okay. I love you, H." Niall whispers and Harry's heart tugs at how sad Niall sounded on the other end. 

"I love you too, Ni." 

"Did you really refer to the baby as Baby Styles?" Niall asks, a lighter tone to his voice which makes Harry smile. 

"Well yeah, I'm carrying the baby. Therefore, Baby Styles." 

"I helped put it in there, I think it should be Baby Horan." Niall says and Harry laughs a little at that before rolling his eyes. 

"Nope. Baby Styles." 

"I'm too tired to argue with you right now so I'll let you call it Baby Styles until further notice."

"That means I win." Harry says, a sing song tone to his voice as he says it. This earns a small laugh from Niall which sounded like music to his ears. 

"In your dreams, Styles." 

"I don't think so, all my dreams consist of is you." Harry says, not even missing a beat in the response. He could practically hear Niall rolling his eyes, shaking his head in disapproval but he would be smiling. 

"You're such a cheese ball that it literally sickens me sometimes."

"But you love me." 

"You're right, I do love you. More and more every day." 

"Now who's being a cheese ball?" 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

god narry kills me.

just stab me in the heart why don't you?

dedication goes to TamaraJo1211

comment

and

vote

connie xx