seventy-four: a guilt trip

It was awkward to say the least as Harry sits across from Maura in the living room as Niall gets his mother something to drink. Harry felt uncomfortable, shifting his weight every so often and glancing towards the kitchen in hopes that Niall would come to his rescue. They hadn't said a word, but Maura kept eyeing him and Harry always hated the way she looked at him. He could tell the smile was fake, the hatred for Harry clear in her eyes and Harry was pretty sure he felt the exact same way towards her. 

Luckily, Niall returns, handing his mother a cup of tea and Harry one as well before he sits down next to his husband. Harry feels better almost instantly with Niall in the room, but he could still see feel Maura's icy look on him. 

"So, not to be rude or anything... But why are you here, Mum?" Niall asks, getting straight to the point. 

"I told you I would be visiting after Halloween to see that adorable little baby." Maura says and Harry hates the way she talks. It was a sickly sweet tone, the kind that Harry often associated with people who only wanted something from him. 

"The plan was for us to come visit you, Mum..." Niall says and Harry feels like maybe Niall is just as annoyed as Harry is that his mother literally decided to show up just out of the blue. 

"I know, but I figured it would be easier for me to come here. No one likes flying on a plane with a six week old baby." Maura says, shrugging at the end and Harry lets out a sigh. It all seemed like a load of crap to him, but the last time Harry had said anything against Maura being a saint things between Niall and him got hostile. So Harry keeps his mouth shut, looking down at his phone in hopes that Zayn had texted him back to alert him he was on his way with Noah. 

He hadn't. 

"That's great and all, but Harry and I are really busy this week Mum... We've got plans to travel and we're not going to be home." Niall says and Maura's smile drops for a second, but only for a second. 

"Oh... well I wish you would've told me before I paid to come out here... but I can see that I'm unwelcome, so I guess I'll go." Maura says and Harry thinks he's going to be physically ill with how much she was laying on the guilt trip. 

"It's not that we don't want you here, Mum... We're just busy." Niall says and Harry has to fight the scoff. Speak for yourself. 

"It's fine, Niall. I don't need you to explain yourself. I'll just book the first flight home and get out of your hair." Maura says, her voice sad and Harry is once again fighting off a scoff because Jesus Christ was she fake and he wasn't buying it. 

But Niall was. 

"No... Don't do that... You can stay here while we're gone, it'll only be for a week and then we'll be back and you'll get to bond with Noah as much as you want." Niall says, a hopeful tone to his voice.

"You mean you'd leave the baby with me?" Maura says, her eyes lighting up and Harry just about throws up. 

There was no way in hell Harry would leave Noah alone with Maura, he didn't even trust her around Noah with Harry keeping an eye on her. 

He doesn't trust her. 

Yet Niall seemed to be on a whole different level. 

"Sure, why not? That'll give Harry and I some much needed alone ti-" Niall starts only to have Harry interrupt him. 

"Niall, can I talk to you in the kitchen for a moment?" Harry asks, not even giving Niall a chance to protest before he's dragging his husband into the kitchen.

"Harry, what the hell is wro-" Niall starts, but Harry wasn't going to let him finish yet again. 

"We are not leaving Noah with her." Harry says, keeping his voice steady so that Niall would know he was serious. 

"Why not? We've left him with your mum before, why not mine?" Niall asks, crossing his arms over his chest and Harry can't hold the scoff back this time. 

"Because my mother isn't fucking crazy and out to destroy our relationship. You know my mother, we don't even know yours. I don't trust her with my son, Niall." 

"He's our son, Harry... and she's my mum. I trust her." Niall says and Harry wants to scream out in frustration because dammit he hated how Niall was when his mother was around. He wasn't Harry's Niall, he was some submissive little ass kisser and Harry hated it. 

"I'm not leaving Noah with her, she can stay at the house while we're gone but Noah comes with us." Harry says, literally putting his foot down and Niall lets out a soft sigh before shaking his head. 

"I don't understand why you hate her so much, she's done nothing to you... She's my mum, Harry." Niall says, looking down at his feet as Harry lets out a sigh of his own. 

"I already told you why I don't like her, you just choose to ignore it." Harry says back. 

"I do no-"

"Look, I don't want to argue anymore, Niall. I've said my piece on this, so you go ahead and tell her she can stay, but Noah is coming with us." Harry says and he thinks that's the end of it. 

But of course, when was that ever the case?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

fuck, you guys are probably annoyed af at me. 

i keep forgetting to update this story, it takes me a week and i'm sorry. 

i'm already aware that i suck lol

BUT THANKS FOR 7K VOTES FAM. YOU'RE THE BOMB AND I'LL TRY TO STOP DROPPING THE BALL!!!!!

dedication goes to Harrysdimples20

comment

and

vote

connie xx