Chapter 111

Bruno dialed the phone one last time before giving up for the night. Kass...please answer the phone. Please. He repeated to himself as the phone rang.

"Bruno....." he heard her pick up the phone. "Don't you get it? I don't want to talk to you." she scolded him.

"Too bad. Because I want to talk to you, Kassandra." he matched her anger.

"Are you mad at me? Why are you talking to me that way, Bruno?" she asked him.

"Because you won't listen to me if I don't talk to you this way, Kass." he answered her.

Shit. He knows me too well. She got up from the kitchen table her mother following behind her shaking her head. She shooed her mother away sitting down in a chair in the backyard.

"Bruno....what really happened last night?" she asked him. "If I call Sam...would he tell me exactly the same story?"

"Yes, Kassandra. He would tell you exactly the same story." he answered her flatly.

"And when the hell did you see her before? I trusted you, Bruno. I trusted in everything you've done since June. I never thought you were doing anything wrong...until you gave me reasons to think that...and now look."

"Kassie...look at that picture really close." he said as her phone beeped.

"Did you just send it to me?" she asked.

"Yeah. Look at it and tell me what's different about it." he told her listening to the silence on the other end of the phone.

"You took your ring off..." she told him. "Why did you do that? Bruno!"

"No...look on my left arm, baby." he directed her toward the difference.

"Oh my god." she answered in shock. "How did I not notice that?"

"I don't know." he answered her.

"I'm sorry, Brunz. I'm sorry I overreacted." she told him in a soft apologetic tone.

"It's okay, baby doll." he replied.

"No. I am really really really sorry, Bruno. It's the second time I've done this."

"Sweetheart...just trust me, please." he answered.

"I know. I know I have to...but...the things that have happened in the past....I just...it's just too there..."

"Leave the past behind you, Kittie." he reassured her.

"Bruno...quit being so cheesy."

"I'm sorry, Kittie. I kind of have to." he answered her.

"I love you, Bruno." she said wiping tears from her cheek.

"I love you more." he laughed at her.

"Okay. Whatever, B."

"Kass...I'll be home in two weeks. Are you going to be okay?" he asked her.

"I've lasted lomger than this, Bruno." she laughed at him.

"I know, Kittie...but we weren't married then." he said sweetly. "And you were living with Amy...and now you're by yourself with the cat."

"I'll be fine, Bruno." she responded.

"Okay...but the second you need me call me, okay?"

"I will, Bruno."

"Okay, baby doll. I love you."

"I love you too, good night Brunito."

She hung up the phone picking up her purse to walk out the door.

"Kassandra!" her mother screamed.

"I overreacted, mom. Everything is fine." she answered hugging her.

"Okay...." her mother answered in a confused tone.

Kassie drove the 20 minutes to their house dragging herself out of the car. I am so tired. This was such a crappy day. She dug into her purse to pull out the key to open the door surprised to see roses piled all over the floor. The cat looked up at her confused by all the flowers. They were all in different styles of vases and were all different colors. "Oh god." she said picking up a note on one of the cards seeing that they were in his distinctive handwriting. How did he do this? She thought to herself.

One rose for each day we've spent together.

One rose for every day you've been beautiful.

One rose for every day that I loved you.

One rose for every day I want to spend with you.

But there will never be enough roses in the world to express how much I will love you and how much I need you in my life. Kassandra Hernandez.

"He'll have to clean this up." Kassie sighed taking the cards with her to the living room.