Chapter 16

”Kassie…where’s Bruno?” Holly asked her plopping on the extra long twin mattress that would soon be home for her.

”Oh…I think he’s with my mom bringing up the last of my stuff…” Kassie said glancing out the door.

”Ohhh…” Holly said following her roommate’s eyes.

”Kittie…take this it’s the last one, babe…” he said walking into the room with a heavy box.

”Uff..that’s huge.” she said looking at the box. ”How did I get that much stuff in there?” she asked.

”That’s what she said, Kass…” Bruno smiled at her sitting down on the bed with her.

”Ewww. Bruno.” Holly responded picking up the pictures Kassie had laying her desk.

”You should put this one in the middle…” Holly responded picking up a picture of Bruno and Kassie when they were younger. She was wearing a fancy dress holding a juice box while Bruno sat smiling in an Elvis costume.

”I think you should burn it…” Bruno said picking up the pictures.

”Brunz..you were adorable. ” Kassie said pinching his cheeks.

Oh, god. Quit with your cute couple shit. Geez.” Holly said standing up wandering back to her side of the room to unpack her things.

Kassie leaned in to Bruno starting to say something. ”Be nice to my mom on the way home, please.”

”I will, Kassandra.” he answered her pulling away.

”Kanssandra and Holly! ” an upperclass Volleyball player yelled from their open door. ”We’re going out tonight..come with us?” the girl, Liz asked. ”Oh…hi…I’m Liz..” she said holding her hand out to Bruno.

”Hi, I’m Bruno…” he answered.

”You’re right, he is cute…” Liz winked at Kassie turning around.

”I hope y’all make it!” she yelled turning back around to talk to her other friends.

Penny and Sam walked into the room holding sodas and chips after Liz ran out the door. Sam looked up from his straw to talk to them. ”We’re ready to go, sissy.” he said. ”Come on Bruno…let’s go…” Kassie led Bruno out the door stopping before they all made it to the car.

”Bruno…I’ll miss you soooooo much.” she told him looking up at him.

”I’ll miss you too, Kittie…but I’ll see you in three weeks, sweetheart.” he smiled.

”I know, but it will only be for the tournament…”

”Then I’ll get you for Thanksgiving…” he smiled.

”Okay…okay..but it doesn’t mean I won’t miss you, B.”

”Kassandra…don’t cry, please…” he told her seeing her eyes water.

”I can’t help it…” she sniffed.

”Kassandra..quit crying. Geez.” Sam said from the car.

”Please, listen to your brother…he’s smarter than you think.” Bruno told her.

”I’ll try not to.” she responded looking down at the ground holding in her tears. He picked up her chin to look into her eyes.

”Mahal kita, Kittie….” he said taking her necklace in his hand leaning in to kiss her goodbye.

”I love you, too, Bruno...” she said letting go of his hand watching him get in the car.

”You can do it, Kassandra. Even if I don’t approve of you two, I don’t want to see you sad, honey…” her mom said hugging her.

”Okay, mom. I’ll call you after practice tomorrow.” she told her stepping away to watch them drive away”

”Don’t do anything stupid, Kittie…” Sam yelled at her. She blew her little brother a kiss turning around before they could drive away.

She swiped her new ID card to enter the building walking into her empty room. She grabbed the picture her sister had taken of them at her graduation laying on the bed crying.