Chapter 18

Andrew walked behind Kassie as they walked up the driveway to her father’s house after a long 6 hour flight to Hawaii. She glanced over at the Hernandez house sighing when she saw Bruno’s car parked off to the side.

”Is that where he lives?” Andrew asked.

”No, he’s in LA…but his family still lives there….” Kassie said grabbing the door knob opening the door. She heard loud screams from her brothers running up to her.

”Kitttieeee!” Zac ran up to her hugging her. Jayden followed acting too cool to be a 5 year old.

”Oh, so you’re too cool to come and say hi to me, J?” she asked him.

”Yeah, pretty much.” he said running back into the kitchen.

Kassie introduced everyone to her boyfriend. It was a big event. Even though they had been dating for almost two years, he hadn’t met her father, stepmother or brothers. They were all incredibly welcoming toward him hugging and handing him food the second they walked it.

”Dang, Kass…these cookies are good…” he said sitting down on the couch next to her.

”They make you sweeter…” she smiled.

”Ewww. Kass. That’s gross.” Zac told her.

”You’re aready sweet, pumpkin…/” she laughed.

”Oh, I forgot to tell you before you came, Kittie…” her dad interrupted their argument. ”Bernie and the girls are coming over for dinner tomorrow.”

”What? Why?” she asked shocked.

”Well, because it’s our turn to have them over…and I thought you would want to see Tiara…because after all, she is your best friend.” Tom told her.

Used to be best friend….she thought to herself.

”Kassie…I thought you all had moved on?” Janie asked.

”Well…I mean..yeah..but…I don’t know. It’s weird.”

**

Andrew stood in front of Kassie in her bedroom watching her eyes look down as she prepared herself to walk out into the kitchen. She heard Bruno’s family barge into the house in their usual loud fashion.

”Kassie…you can do it. It’s just an ex. And they’re like your family. Come on. I know it’s hard…but you can do it….” he hugged her opening the door to meet his girlfriend’s neighbors.

”Kittieee!” Tiara came running toward her to hug her. Kassie hesitated for a second before hugging her best friend. ”I missed you! Why haven’t you come back?” she asked her.

”It’s just too hard…and the short amount of time I have off…”

”Fine, California…” she said smiling. Tahiti came over hugging her followed by Presley. Brunos’ mother smiled at her waving. Well, I see someone hasn’t forgotten that I was the one that broke up with him…she thought to herself.

They all ate dinner peacefully discussing Andrew’s accomplishments and how they met. Kassie gushed over how smart he was and how he was working towards his PhD in Clinical Psychology.

”Hmm. That’s nice…” Tiara thought out loud. After they ate dinner Andrew followed her father to the kitchen to clean up. The second she saw the kitchen door swing close Kassie started to talk.

”What do you think of him? He’s cute right?” she asked her neighbors.

”He is cute. I can’t believe that he is going to be a Doctor…do you think he’s it?” Tahiti asked.

”I don’t know..I mean maybe…we match each other so well. He’s all quiet and I can never shut up…you know?” Kassie explained.

”Yeah…but he looks like Bruno….” Tiara told her.

”What the hell do you meam T?” Kassie asked.

”You can’t see that, Kittie?” she asked confused.

”Aside from the fact that he’s half Filipino I don’t see it…” she said.

”Whatever, girl. He’s like an academic Bruno…” she said putting on a pair of fake glasses with her hands scoffing at Kittie.

”He’s not like that!” Kassie defended him.

”Oh God, Kassandra..I tuned him out after he started talking about standard deviations. What the hell is a standard deviation anyway?” Presley told her.

”It’s…” Kassie started to explain.

”I don’t want to know. I want you with Bruno again.” Presley said definitely getting up with her plate taking it into the kitchen.

”She’s still not over it, Kass…” Tahiti said.”She had your wedding all planned…”

”No…no I’m not…” Presley said turning around to stare at Kassie.

”You’re going to have to get over it, Pres. It just wasn’t right then and it wouldn’t be right…ever…” Kassie said wandering back into the kitchen to see what everyone else was doing.

**

Bruno sat on his couch with a guitar humming along to something in his head.

”What comes next?” his new production partner, Phil asked.

”I don’t know…” he said bobbing his head to the beat. ”Losing my heaadd….I’m already lost…..” Bruno sang to himself. ”Like a gunshot….with you and no one else….” he scribbled on a notebook. ”Losing my mind, losing my way....try to hard….you make me nervous….” Phil picked up the notebook scribbling even more on the notebook.

”Is that about Kassandra?” Phil asked.

”Yeah…she still drives me fucking crazy even though I haven’t talked to her in ages. And Ttahiti said that she’s dating some stuffy professor or something.” Bruno told his friend.

”Dude…you need to get laid. There’s no way you’re going to move on if you don’t.”

”Brunz, you’re hot. Five bucks says you could hook up with the first girl you talk to tonight when we go out…” Phil’s girlfriend told him sitting down next to them.

”You really think so?” he asked them.

”Fuck me, Bruno. Fuck my brains out…” Phil said making a silly face.

”You’re on, girlfriend….because I need that five dollars for gas….” he said shaking her hand sealing the deal.