Chapter 43

Kassie got in her car on her way to ameeting to discuss a writing position within the LATimes. She was ridiculouslynervous almost shaking as she drove. She would have called hersister, Amy or even Bruno to calm her nerves but Olivia was at work,Amy was sleeping off her hangover and Bruno hadn't spoken to hersince she listened to the song on his ipod. Kassie cranked up theradio to keep her mind off of the nerves. She was sitting in trafficwith her windows rolled down when she suddenly heard a familiar beat."Oh my god!" Kassie screamed. "Holy shit, holy shit...oh mygod." she started to scream realizing that the person sitting intraffic next to her was staring at her. She shrugged not sure what todo. Oh well.She thought taking a hold of her phone starting to text Tiara, Jamie,her sister, brother and finally adding Bruno.

**

Bruno was sitting on the couch tryingto wake up from the night before when his cell phone buzzed. Audreywalked by kissing his forehead grabbing his phone to see who it was.

"Who is it, baby?" he asked.

"Kassie." she answered.

"Oh. I haven't texted her back,sweetheart. I promise..." he told her.

Audrey went through his phone to hissettings. "What are you doing?" he asked her.

She handed the phone back to himshowing him the block list. She was added to the list of girls shehad kept him from talking to, Clarissa, Lizzie, Amy, Jordan....and ofcourse all the skanky girls from his past. "I don't understandwhy you don't trust me, Audrey. She's texted me like twice. She'sone of my sister's best friends. What if something happens and sheneeds to tell me something?" he asked her.

"You'll just find out a littlelate." she said definitely. "I have to go to work." she saidwalking out the door handing him the phone to keep.

"What a bitch..." Bruno saidtrying his hardest to remember how to unblock Kassie. "Sht. I can'tremember how to do it..." he said under his breath.

**

Kassie started to move the car at thestop light on the access road. Suddenly she heard a huge loud noisebehind her followed by a car swerving out of the way in the lane nextto her to avoid the accident. In the process of avoiding the accidentthe car moved into her lane pushing her car into the small car nextto her up and almost over the guard rail. She was pinned against thebarrier of the highway. "Oh shit..." she gasped as she felt bloodcoming down her forehead. " can't get outttt...." boom. Herairbag popped in front of her after the car stopped. Her head hit theairbag and then suddenly she was awake in the hospital bed, hersister and Jamie sitting next to her.

"Kittie..." Olivia said leaningover to her.

"Where's mom?" Kassie asked.

"She went to get the nurse becauseyou were waking up...." Olivia asked. "You look confused,Kassie...do you know what happened?" she asked her sister.

"The last thing I remember happeningis walking out the door this morning...." Kassie answered. Jamietouched her arm trying to reassure her sister's best friend thatshe would be okay.

"I'll be right back..." she toldthem looking down at her phone that was vibrating. She walked out thedoor clicking to answer the phone. "Brunito...where the hell areyou? She asked where you were....what is going on?" she asked him.

"Who's asking for me? What'sgoing on?" he asked.

"Kittie got in a car accident,Brunito. You were one of the first ones the EMTs tried to callbecause she texted you last...but you didn't answer. It didn'teven go to voicemail."

"Shit." he answered. "I'll bethere in a few minutes...." he told her sister.

"You better tell me what's goingon when you get here, Bruno. I don't like how you're acting rightnow." Jamie said hanging up the phone.

"I have to go, Audrey. I just haveto go....I'm sorry..." he said standing up from the kitchen tabletaking a hold if his keys shaking them thinking of what had happened.Shit. I fucked this up, soso bad. He thought tohimself.