Chapter 3

Later in the week Kassie and Bruno’s families got together for a summer bbq. Kassie ran back and forth from her house to Bruno’s house to get things. Bruno sat in a chair near the pool with his guitar. He was helping Kassie’s little brother, Sam, learn how to play the guitar. He really wasn’t that bad. Olivia floated around in the pool with the other girls.

”Bruno…Sammie…come on…come in the pool. The guitar is still going to be there later tonight…” Olivia yelled at them.

”Later…” Bruno acknowledged his neighbor. Kassie walked by him lifting up her sleeveless t-shirt slipping off her shorts right after.

”Dude! What the hell! That’s my sister!” Sam smacked the back of Bruno’s head.

”What? Nooo. Ewww.” Bruno shot himself in the head with his finger. ”How does she even have a boyfriend?” Bruno wondered out loud. More like, how am I not her boyfriend?

**

”Come help me take this stuff back to my dad’s….” Kassie said standing in the kitchen holding bowls, utensils and leftovers. She was struggling to juggle it all.

”Brunito…go with her….” his mother told him taking the bowls from Kassie handing them to Bruno. Bruno rolled his eyes at his mother opening the backdoor to go with Kassie to her house.

”Why are you avoiding me, Bru?” she asked him.

”I’m not….” he told her.

”You are. Quit being a loser.” she told him putting the bowls in the dishwasher.

”Okay…we’re done here…” she told him turning around to face him. He was sitting on the counter not helping her clean up. She walked past him heading toward the door. His hand touched her shoulder lightly. She turned around to face him giving him a look that could kill. He slipped off the counter lightly kissing her. She pulled away from him. ”Bruno..if you’re going to do it you have to do it the right way….” she laughed at him, He’s really, really, really bad at this. ”Here…like this….” she put her hands on his cheeks touching his lips. ”And close your eyes for God’s sake..that’s weird…” she laughed at him. He squinted his eyes trying to make her laugh. She smirked at his playfulness punching him in the side. ”Stop doing that. You have to be serious sometimes… she told him.

He looked at her seriousness trying to match it. He didn’t do serious. He pushed a piece of hair out of her face touching her forehead. ”Kassandra….I really like you…” he said. Before she could open her mouth to respond he kissed her the same way Freddie Prinze Jr kissed Rachael Leigh Cooke at the very end of She’s All That.