Chapter 42

Late 2008

Kassie stood in line at the grocery store with a cart full of groceries. She glanced over at the weekly

entertainment magazines noticing one that had a blurb at the bottom Reality TV couples we miss

with a small picture of the two of them on the cover. What  the hell? she thought to herself picking up the magazine while waiting for the mother with four small children in front of her to finish. She flipped to the page to see a small picture of her and Bruno from two years ago eating lunch at some snazzy LA restaurant. We've been dying to know exactly what happened between Kassie and Bruno at the end of the first season of The Heights. Word is that Bruno left her for one of those girls on his cell phone. But we're choosing to think that they're just taking a break like before. Kassie sighed throwing the magazine into the bottom on the grocery cart. What a load of crap she thought to herself.

***

"Ammmyyyyy....come here. I need help with grocerieeesss..."Kassie yelled throwing down a heavy canvas bag on the counter of their shared house. 

"Mmmm..let me help by eating it all..." Amy answered.

"Ha. You have to cook it all, fool." Kassie answered.

"Kass...this magazine is so shit. Why did you buy it?" Amy said pulling the magazine out of a bag.

"It's like crack. I have to read it. And then laugh at all the rumors. It's so dumb. We broke up months ago and people still aren't over it. We're better friends than friends."Kassie answered.

"I guess. But still. Doesn't itbother you to see him out with Audrey every single time you go out?" she asked.

"It did for a while. But now I'm over it. Like, I don't think I've ever seen him light up the way he does on stage now that he's with her. And she puts up with his shit. I couldn't deal with the flirting and him having all those girls numbers. I know I played a game saying that it bothered me on camera..but I wouldn't have said any of that had it not been true. When I finally told him he got all upset saying that I was too sensitive. I just think that I was in love with the Bruno I knew in Hawaii, not the LA Bruno. And if he can find someone that loves the LA Bruno than that's what he needs. " Kassie explained.

"But what do you need?" Amy asked throwing the magazine in the trash.

"I don't know. I never know."

**

Bruno sat in the studio with his production team playing with sounds moving his head back and forth.

"I like this one..." he said triumphantly raising his hands up.

"Play it..." he told Phil standing up moving his arms dancing around the studio for a few seconds.

"I think that's it..." Ari said turning to the artist they were working with.

"Play it. I've got this." Flo Rida answered putting on his head set walking toward the recording booth.

About an hour later the track was finished. "It's gold, guys. I think this is going to be a hit." he told them.

"It better be." Bruno laughed.

**

"Kassie...come here..." Bruno said handing her his ipod pressing play.

"It sounds like Girls on the dance floor, B." she told him moving her head. "Wait..you spin me right round, right round like a record baby, right round, round round..." she starteddancing around the room the same way Bruno had in the studio.

"Yes, Kittie. That's the one." he answered her smiling. Fuck, he still drives me crazy. She thought to herself. She handed the ipod back to him.

"It's good, Bruno." she said handing the ipod back to him.

"It's not Dancing in the mirror..." he told her.

"Bru, nothing is going to be that amazing. Duh." she laughed grabbing her sweater trying to leave his apartment feeling a bit awkward. She knew things could change between them at any point. She knew he was happy with Audrey. He cared about him still and she didn't want to hurt what they had because he had hurt what she and Andrew had. "I'm going to go..." she said picking up her purse as the door started to open."Hi, Audrey...I was just leaving..." Kassie said politely.

"Oh. Okay." Audrey rolled her bright blue eyes and flipped her bleach blonde hair making a pointthat she was with him and not her.You don't have to do that, you crazy bitch. Kassie thought to herself.

"Bye, Kittie..." Bruno waved.

"I cannot stand her, Brunz. She just looks at you like she wants to get in your pants, still." Audrey told him after the door closed.

"She's like a sister to me, baby. That's it."

"Did you ask Jamie what she thought about the track?" Audrey asked challenging his thought.

"Not yet. I haven't seen her." he told her.

"But you could have called her and asked her what she thought, right?"

"Yeah. I will. .." Bruno answered.

"So you valued your sister's opinion over your real sister's opinion?" she asked him.

"Audrey..that's not how it is..."Bruno told her.

"Then how is it, Bruno? How should I trust you that you're not going to do something with her when you always go to her before you come to me? You have to make a decision. Her or me." Audrey demanded.

Bruno took a hold of her left hand intertwining his fingers in her hand. She looked down at it with tears in her eyes. He then wiped her tears from under her eyes running his fingers on her cheek. "I choose you." he answered leaning in to kiss her.