Chapter 10

Kassie sat down at her computer in January to finish typing an English paper. She logged onto AIM just to distract herself. She saw Bruno was online, but they weren’t on the best of terms with each other because Jordan had called her to tell her that Bruno was seen with one of their friends Victoria over the Christmas break, and it wasn’t to do Algebra homework. Kassie minimized the window to keep herself from dealing with him. She put on her Itunes and started typing about the Oedipus complex. Half way through her second paragraph she heard a signature ding and an IM popped up.

Brunito1008: Kassie, I’m sorry.

KassieKat: I don’t want to talk to you right now.

Brunito1008: Too bad, I’m going to keep IMing you until you do.

Kassie waited a few minutes to answer that IM ”I could just block him…”

Brunito1008” Don’t block me, I know you have Yahoo open too…

KassieKat: I can block you there, too.

Brunito1008: Then I’ll call you. And I know you aren’t supposed to be on the phone this late.

KassieKat: What do you want, Brunz?

Brunito1008: I just want you to believe me.

KassieKat: Believe what?

Brunito: Believe that Victoria is just my partner for the Economics project. Jordan doesn’t know that.

KassieKat: The one where you have to married?

Brunito1008: Yes, Kassandra. That one.

KassieKat: But you were with her over break, Bruno…

Brunito1008: Kassie…you know her dad owns the café. Don’t be dumb.

KasseKat: But why now?

Brunito1008: Because I’m going to be doing a set there every night at 7…

KassieKat: Bruno! That’s so good! Why didn’t you tell me?

Brunito1008: Because you weren’t talking to me, duh.

KassieKat: Oh. Sorry. I’m so happy for you!

Brunito1008: Yeah. I’m excited about it!

A few days later Kassie was reading some gossip website when she saw Bruno get online. She had just gotten back from a meeting with volleyball recruiters from UC- Santa Cruz who had offered her a scholarship to play with them.

KassieKat: Bruno! I’m going to UC-Santa Cruz!

Brunito1008: Where’s that? That’s not in LA is it?

KassieKat: No, it’s near San Fran.

Brunito1008: Oh =(

KassieKat: Why the sad face?

Brunito1008: Because I’m going to move to Los Angeles after I graduate.

KassieKat: Your dad said yes?!

Brunito1008: And Jamie knows someone that might be able to get me a record deal.

KassieKat: Brunoooo! That is so exciting, that’s better than the café.

Brunito1008:But it would be better with you there, Kassandra.

Kassie paused thinking about what he said. It made her sad to think that they wouldn’t be together.

Brunito1008: Kittie?

KassieKat: I don’t know what is going to happen, Bruno.

She waited for him to answer her, suddenly hearing her house phone ring. He wouldn’t be calling me.

”Kassandra! Bruno is on the phone.” her mother yelled from the other side of the house.

”Oh, okay…” she ran to the office to pick up the cordless phone to bring into her bedroom.

”Kassie….” Bruno said when she picked up the phone.

”You can hang up the phone now, mom…” Kassie yelled hearing the TV in the background. She covered up the receiver to yell at her mom. ”I’ll tell you about it when I get off the phone..I promise…” Kassie was very close to her mother. She knew exactly what was going on with the two of them. She was not pleased, but she supported her daughter through the whole thing.

”Bruno…you’re moving here with your sister?” she asked him still shocked.

”Yeah…after the 4th of July..I think.”

”Oh.” she said sadly.

”But you’re way closer in Santa Cruz…” he smiled through the phone.

”But school is…it’s…I mean…we’ll see each other on holidays..unless you go home…”

”Kassie...we’ll figure it out. I know we will…” he said trying to reassure her. ”Just say yes to Santa Cruz…you know that’s where you need to be…”

”Well, if you say so….” she answered him.