Chapter 7

Kassie sat at Bruno’s kitchen table reading over his math homework.

”I didn’t do this…Bruno…I don’t know…” she scratched her head pretending not to know what was going on.

”Look…” he said leaning over showing her how to do the first one.

”So, if you know how to do it why am I doing it for you, B?” she asked him.

”It’s an excuse to get you to come over…” he answered.”I knew how to do all of it…”

She rolled her eyes at his answer starting to laugh. ”Mean Girls?”

”Damn….” he lowered his head filling in the math problems.

”Hey…where’s my pizza, Bruno?” she asked walking over to his fridge.

”Fatty ate it…” he responded telling her Presley had eaten the non-existent pizza.

”You’re lying…” she told him taking a brownie out of the fridge biting into it. ”My arm still hurts from you hitting me last night….owww…” she faked the pain in her arm.

”You’re dad and Janie are going out tonight right?” he asked.

”Yeah..I’m babysitting.” she said. Since Olivia had gone off to college that school year she had decided not to come to Hawaii for the summer. Damn…whhhyyy? she thought to herself.

”Let me help….” he suggested. She gave him a dirty look not sure what his ulterior motives were.

**

At 8:45 Kassie heard the back door of the house open. Oh…he wasn’t kidding…she thought. Bruno came into the living room holding plastic bags.

”What is that?” six year old Zac asked.

”It’s going to be the best pizza in the world….” Bruno answered pulling out tomato sauce from the bag.

”You wanna help me?” he asked Zac.

”No, Bruno…Zac has to go to bed…” Kassie said pointing toward his bedroom.

”But Kittieeee….it’s summmeerrrr….pleassseeee….” he said wrapping his arms around her waist.

”Come on Kittieeee….it’s summerrr…” Bruno whined.

”Fine…but only if I can help too….” she answered walking toward the kitchen with Zac. They rolled the premade dough out, dropping the sauce on the dough with their fingers. She handed Zac the pepperoni to put on the dough after the spread the cheese all over. Bruno slid the pizza in the oven. After cleaning up the mess they sat down on the couch flipping through the channels.

”Let’s watch Pokemon…” Zac said laying on the end of the couch.

”Ugh, really, Zaccy?” Kassie asked.

”Let him watch his show, geez…” Bruno answered grabbing the remote from her hand.

”Fine…but only because it’s summer, Zachary Tyler…” Kassie sighed letting go of the remote. As the end of the 15 minute episode ended Kassie turned around to hear the oven buzz indicating the pizza was done. She looked at Bruno to get it out of the oven.

”What? Pokemon is on..you’re not helpless…” he answered her glance.

”You’re going to be a horrible husband..” she said throwing a pillow at him as she got up to get the pizza. He followed behind her forgetting about the cartoon. Kassie put down the pizza in the counter caught off guard by Bruno’s arms around her waist.

”Oh geez…” she responded in shock. She turned around facing him waiting for him to do something to her. ”Let’s wait for it to cool down…” she said wiggling out of his arms.

”Kass?” he asked her.

”Hmm?” she answered turning off the water.

”I may not be the best husband, but I’m a pretty good boyfriend…”