Chapter 90

"What's that?"Kassie asked.

"Divorced.Unhappy. Bitter. Disheartened. Disconnected. Fighting. All thosethings that the three of you went through. Well, still do go through.Kassandra...I want all my children to have the happiest mostfulfilling lives....and I just don't see you doing that with him."

"Mom...have youseen me when I'm not with him? It's like the walking dead. Hemakes me the opposite of all those things. He makes me who I am. Idon't know how you don't see that. "

"I see youfollowing him around like a lost puppy, Kass. When you aren't withhim you are you...you do what you want and you're successful. He'syour neutral. You don't go anywhere."

"What are yousaying? That I'm the car that can't shift gears because I marriedthe only person in the world that has ever continually been with meand made me feel safe when there wasn't a single safe thing to relyon? Mom...that family...I don't know what I would be like withoutthem. The summer you and dad got divorced...you sent us over therebecause you knew Bernie knew what you were going through. Wecould hear you two yelling and screaming. It made Livvy cry...whichmade me cry. We went for a walk on the beach to get away from yourarguing. And Bruno told me then that he would never leave me. To makesure I was safe...and that you two never made me cry like thatagain. Yes, we were 8 and he probably doesn't even remember sayingit. But...mom...that's what he does. " she started to cry as shetold her mother exactly how he makes her feel and how he has alwaysbeen there for her, even when they weren't dating.

"Kass...if you arehappy then I'm happy for you. He obviously means the world to you.And when things go wrong..."

"Fucking JesusChrist mother....nothing is going to go wrong. I told you I wouldn'thave done it had I been that drunk. We're married. You're goingto have to deal with it. I'm going home..." she respondedstanding up from her chair indicating she had had enough of theirconversation. "We're going to do have a thing at Dad andJanie's in December. Please don't forget to rsvp." she saidwalking out of the house.

**

Kassie threw herpurse on the black leather couch leaning on the pillow sighingheavily next to Ari.

"I think you'rean attention whore, Kass." he told her.

"Yeah. Like everyother reality show has been. " she laughed.

"Who called youthat?" Bruno asked.

"No one." she answered looking at her phone. "Are you almost done with thesong?" she asked him after deleting a few e-mails.

"Yeah..I thinkso." he smiled at her.

"I want to hearit!" she exclaimed.

"No. Not yet. Youhave to wait like everyone else."

"Brunooo. Youwouldn't let me go see the movie with you and now you won'tlet me hear the song?"

"No." he saidlooking at her with a sad face. "You have to wait like everyoneelse."

"Yeah. You gottawait." Ari answered.

"It's not thefirst time you've had to wait." he told her.

"I'm notbegging. I'm gonna go home. When are you going to be done?" sheasked standing up with her purse turning to face the door. Hefollowed her out the door standing next to her car.

"What did your momsay?" he asked her stopping her from opening the door. "It'sbothering you..." he told her touching her shoulder to reassure herhe was there to listen to her.

"I don't want totalk about it right now." she told him in a blunt tone turning toface the car.

"Kassandra..Idon't want you to be hurt..."

"I'll be fine.I'm going to Amy's."

"I'll call youlater tonight, sweetheart." he kissed her on the cheek and watchedher drive away. Theregoes my little girl...Brunothought to himself running back into the studio.