Chapter 9

Kassie sat at the front desk of Jackson Landscaping on one of her last Fridays in Hawaii when she caught a glimpse of a cute boy carrying flowers up to the office. What the hell? Are those for Britney? she thought to herself thinking about the human resource director that worked at the office. The delivery boy, Caleb, walked up to her desk. ”Kassandra?” he asked.

”Yeah?”

”These are for you…can you sign here for me?” he said handing her a slip of paper.

”Umm…okay….” she said taking the glass vase full of tropical flowers. She grabbed the *”small card from the middle reading it out loud, still in shock. *”'Cause a real man knows a real woman when he sees her. And a real woman knows a real man Ain't afraid to please her And a real woman knows a real man always comes first And a real man just can't deny. A woman's worth…” she hummed the song, which was on heavy rotation on the radio station.

”What the hell do you keep humming, Kittie?” her dad asked walking over to her after he led a client out the door.

”A Woman’s Worth…” she said handing her dad the card.

”Oh, dear.” he said quietly handing her the card back.

”Be careful, Kassandra. You’re leaving in two weeks.”

**

Bruno sat next to Kassie at the table with their families.

”When are you two going to get married?” Sam asked sarcastically looking at the two of them.

”Shut up, Sam.” Kassie shot back loudly. By the time she finished yelling at her brother everyone had noticed they were arguing.

”I want the answer….” Tiara commented looking at both of them. ”Because I call dibs on Maid of Honor.”

”I don’t think that will be necessary….” Kassie answered them. And then the whole table started to laugh.

**

Bruno followed Kassie to her bedroom after the finished the dinner. Their relationship was no longer a secret, it was a joke between both families.

”Bruno…I’m going to miss you when I go back…” Kassie said laying on her bed next to him.

”I’ll miss you more, Kass.” he smiled back at her.

”What are we going to do, Brunito?” she asked him turning her body toward him.

”Nothing…” he said brushing a piece of hair off her forehead kissing her.

**

Kassie stuffed things in her suitcase quickly realizing that she only had two hours until her flight left. Bruno sat in the room, with the door open with his guitar playing random chords as she packed.

”What are you playing, B?” she asked flipping around from her closet.

”Just something….you’ll hear it eventually.” he told her.

”Quit being so mysterious, Bruno. That’s annoying.” she answered him turning around.

”One day when I’m famous and your even more beautiful than you are right now, you’ll hear it and go, damn. He wrote that for me. And you can tell all the girls that are falling in love with me that it’s your song.” he finished putting down the instrument to walk over to her.

”Oh, that’s sweet, Brunito.” she said smiling at him as he wrapped his arms around her. She put her arms around his neck looking into his eyes.”Don’t break my heart this time, Bruno.” she said kissing him quickly wiggling out of his arms to finish packing.